what you need to know about indian lgbt+ rights;

India.

status;  being lgbt is criminalized.

It was decriminalized in 2009, then re-criminalized in 2013.

-

Hijra  is a word given to eunuchs, intersex people, and transgender people in South Asia.

"Since 2014, hijras in India have been allowed to change their gender without sex reassignment surgery, and have a constitutional right to register themselves under a third gender. Additionally, some states protect hijras through housing programmes, welfare benefits, pension schemes, free surgeries in government hospitals and others programmes designed to assist them. There are approximately 4.8 million hijras in India."

"Over the past decade, LGBT people have gained more and more tolerance in India, especially in big cities. "

-

But don't think that it's all sunshine and rainbows for LGBT in India, because that's just laws, not social status.

"Reports of honour killings, attacks, torture, and beatings of members of the LGBT community are also common in India. "

hon·or kill·ing
noun
plural noun: honor killings
in certain cultures, the killing of a relative, especially a girl or woman, who is perceived to have brought dishonor on the family.

- LAWS:  SECTION 377.

"The British Raj criminalised homosexual sexual activities under Section 377 of the Indian Penal Code, which entered into force in 1861. "

"On 11 December 2013, the Supreme Court set aside the 2009 Delhi High Court order decriminalising consensual homosexual activity within its jurisdiction. However, justices G.S. Singhvi and S.J. Mukhopadhaya noted that Parliament should debate and decide on the matter. The full decision can be found HERE."

"On 2 February 2016, the Indian Supreme Court decided to review the criminalisation of homosexual activity. In August 2017, the Supreme Cour  ruled that the right to individual privacy is a fundamental right under the Indian Constitution. It gave hopes to LGBT activists that the Court would soon strike down Section 377. The Supreme Court heard several petitions on the validity of Section 377 on May 1 2018. It issued a notice to the UP government on plea that the ban on sex between consenting adults in private violates constitutional provisions. The Court has set a July date for the final hearing of the case. "

Look out for July, they may take down Section 377!

- SOCIAL.

On 5 November 2015, K. Prithika Yashini became the first transgender police officer in the state of Tamil Nadu. 

Manabi Bandopadhyay became India's first transgender college principal on 9 June 2015.

Shabnam Mausi is the first transgender Indian or hijra to be elected to public office. 

[ JUST TO NAME A FEW. ]

- paradise.

Check out Wikipedia or the links for more information, this is just a quick summary of the rights of this country. Thank you!