However, with a sigh, he convinced himself that nothing would happen between then and the next time he saw Percy.

Hopefully.

*****

Nico was sick and tired of hearing people talk at school. Nobody could keep their fucking mouths shut. News of recent events had made its way around the student body, and as every good rumor does, became rather twisted.

Nico was tired of hearing about how "Percy killed Travis" and how "Connor fought back when Percy tried to kill him" because, one, Travis wasn't dead, and two, this wasn't the Percy that Nico knew. People at school transformed him into a monster that Nico just couldn't fathom the idea of playing along with.

Yes, Nico knew how rumors and lies worked, but this was different for him. There'd been conspiracies about his sister, yet he hadn't cared so much about those since even he didn't know what happened. He was making his own theories in his mind, and in doing so couldn't find reason to blame others for doing the same.

But Nico knew the truth this time, and it frustrated him that everyone else didn't. No one even talked about Luke, who, in Nico's opinion, landed Percy in his current situation in the first place. Nico was led to believe that Ethan had something to do with that piece though.

He had told a few people off upon hearing them, and was surprised to learn that Jason had done the same a few times. Regardless of the fact that Jason couldn't figure out Nico's motives to save his life, he still trusted Nico and was determined to make sure others knew what he knew.

He generally distanced himself from the talk at school, safely hanging with his own circle of friends and praying they wouldn't say anything to him. Thankfully, they all seemed to figure out that Nico didn't appreciate the recent gossip. Whether that be because Nico's actions were so readable or because Jason had informed them all, Nico didn't much care. Regardless, he was grateful for their restraint.

However, he was definitely not grateful for his own.

Nico didn't return to the detention facility until Friday, having been completely swamped with homework. He figured Percy would understand. Plus, he technically wasn't supposed to visit anyway. (Deja vu??? Pretty sure I said something really similar in a previous chapter😂)

When he arrived, Mr. D, still failing at his job of supervising the juveniles and keeping track of visitors, let him in as always. In the hall containing the cells, though, Nico only saw two people, neither of them obtaining Percy's dark hair and stunning eyes.

However, Nico nearly gasped upon seeing who was accompanying Clarisse in the middle of the hallway. "Connor?"

The teenage boy tossed a card between him and Clarisse before turning to Nico. "Long time no see, huh?" He asked with the same ridiculous grin as Nico had seen him with the last time he was here.

Nico nodded. "How's Travis?"

"He's great, actually! They're discharging him in a few days, but they thought I was stable enough to come back here. And so I have returned."

"Where's Percy?" Nico asked, glancing around him for signs of the boy.

Clarisse sighed with a shake of her head. "Cell. Haven't seen him since yesterday morning."

Connor nodded in agreement. "He didn't want me in there."

Clarisse spoke again. "Wait, you told me he wasn't there in the first place."

"Yeah, because I respect his privacy."

Clarisse looked slightly offended. "So do I!"

"We both know you really don't," Connor replied with a scoff.

She sighed. "Whatever, I know."

Putting aside the previous conversation between Connor and Clarisse, Nico spoke again with concern etched into his features. "Is he okay?"

An uncomfortable silence settled between them, the two older teens exchanging glances. Then Clarisse just shrugged.

"Can I still, uh...talk to him?" Nico wanted to make sure he wasn't invading anybody's privacy, especially after the discussion of Clarisse doing the exact opposite. It had dawned on him that he may need to do so to help Percy with whatever he was apparently going through, but he would much rather prefer to put it off as long as he could.

"If he lets you on, knock yourself out," Connor replied before then gesturing to the pile of playing cards in from of him, "otherwise, we can deal you in."

Nico nodded appreciatively before making his way to Percy's location. He knocked on the door upon arrival. He legitimately didn't expect an answer, and wasn't surprised when he heard no response. Nico figured that, if Percy didn't come out to see Connor after what happened, he likely wasn't coming out for anyone.

Unless, Nico briefly thought over the situation, that's the exact reason why he's shut away.

Regardless, he opened the door and walked in.

HELLO! Sorry for taking years to update. But I'm on summer break now, so that's cool! I would've gotten this up last week but the only day I didn't have something on was Monday.

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this somewhat all over the place chapter! Updates should come along slightly faster because there's no school, but don't quote me on that.

Have an amazing day/night/afternoon/evening! Byeeeeee!