"Fine." She answered in dull monotone, not even looking at Laine. Her curly red hair stuck out in random places and her eyes were half opened, she yawned. 

"There's a Zombie outside." 

Maddison dropped her bread. 

"Your fucking with me." She giggled quietly, "Seriously guys, stop." 

Shae shook his head an turned down into the hallway. Laine went after him, wondering what a real Zombie looked like. 

Laine pressed his hand against the cold window next to the door, and what he saw in the moonlight was gut wrenching. 

Was it a zombie? Is that even a proper name for what it was? This creature, Laine noticed, was walking in circles in Shae's front yard. Its head jerked from side to side every now and then. It was fidgeting and sometimes fell to it's knees and got back up. Its face is what made Laine feel frightened the most, its lips were curved into a smile, and its eyes were jet black. That's all he could see with a dim porch and moon light. It started running towards the house again. It was fast. Zombies aren't supposed to be fast. Shae and Laine ducked behind the door and it came tapping again. 

Scratch Scratch Scratch

Laine felt hand softly touch his shoulder, he turned to see Maddison, her eyes were full of fear as well. She crouched next to Laine. 

"What do we do?" She asked softly, "We need to kill this thing." 

Shae gulped, "Yeah, I know." He started to nervously tap the door frame. 

Laine ran his hand through his curly blond hair that fell just above his eyebrows and nodded in agreement. 

"If one of you lure it, I'll stab it in the back of the head." Shae said the Laine and Maddison.

"Sounds good," Maddison nodded, "Laine you stay back, okay?" 

Laine looked into Maddison's brown eye's and shook his head, "Uh-uh, no way young lady," He whisper lectured, "You aren't getting killed tonight," He pushed passed her and reached for the door handle. 

Maddison stepped in front of him, "You're not my dad Laine," She said in a course tone, and crossed her arms. 

"He isn't going to give it up, Maddie," Shae shrugged as Maddison turned around and glared at him. He held his hands up is fear, "Figure it out, I guess, quickly though," He turned toward the window, the thing was circling out in the yard again.

Laine turned to Maddison, "If you die, I'll never forgive myself, knowing I could've stopped you." 

Maddison's mouth opened, like she was going to say something, then it closed and she sighed, stepping aside, and then running into the kitchen. Laine stood for a moment, looking at the floor, then taking a deep breath, he placed his hand onto the door knob, and softly opened it, knowing the door creaked. He and Shae tiptoed onto the porch. 

Laine shivered through his sweatshirt, Whidbey summer nights are not the warmest. 

The figure faced away from the house. It looked distracted already. 

Shae leaned onto the first step down, cringing softly, the knife glinting in the moonlight, his blue socks clashed with the redness of the wooden steps. One down, three to go. 

Laine watched as Shae descended one more of the steps, and lept quietly into the air, and landed not so quietly onto the gravel driveway. 

The rocks beneath Shae's feet crunched as his eyes went from calm to scared. The creature turned toward them, its black eyes twinkling with delight. It ran towards Shae, hungry. Laine jumped next to his brunette friend as he sent his knife slicing through the cool summer air. It lodged in the creatures leg, causing it to limp, slowing it down slightly, as the boys fell up the stairs in silent fright. 

BAM

The creature fell to the gravel, writhing in pain. A head shot wound. It fell limp.

Laine and Shae turned around to see Maddison, standing there, slightly pissed off, gun in hand, she slung it onto the rocking chair of the porch. Laine couldn't help but smile as Maddison towered over the two guys sitting helpless on the steps. 

"Go get the knife," she sighed, rubbing the bridge of her nose, "I'm going back to bed." And with that she opened the door and left into the family room. 

Shae and Laine were still in a state of shock as Phalen, Ann, Izabell and Catherine came rushing outside.

"What was that?" Asked Ann, sleepily, but upset.

"Maddison shot a zombie," Answered Laine proudly, standing up.

"Whats in its leg?" Asked Phalen, hiding in fear behind Izabell, who had a smirk on her face. 

Ann crossed the porch, walked down the steps to the zombie, grabbing the knife and pulling it out of its flesh, sending a trail of blood as it dripped onto the gravel, "Looks like we can't use this anymore." and threw it into the woods.

"Oh my god!" Yelled Catherine, "Is everyone all right!" She rushed up to her son, "Shae, are you hurt!"   

"No mom," He said irritated, pushing away, "I'm fine." He got up, gave Izabell one look and left into the house. Laine watched him go and Catherine following in a rushed fashion. 

"Has Maddie ever shot a gun before?" Asked Phalen, curiously.

"No!" Replied Ann, taking it from the rocking chair, "I'm the one who usually hunts." She carried the gun into the house, Izabell followed, leaving Phalen and Laine in the cool night air. 

Phalen turned to retreat into the warm home.

"That was. . . scary." Laine said quietly, Phalen stopped mid motion. 

"I bet it was." He answered back, not moving, waiting for Laine to say something else. 

When he didn't, Phalen opened the door and walked into the house, Laine heard the door close behind him. But he couldn't bring himself to move. The creature was still just laying there. That thing used to be a real person. 

"That could be me." Whispered Laine to himself, a breeze cooling the sweat on his forehead, chilling him. He stuck his hands in his pockets and entered the house. 

Everyone was already asleep, except for Catherine, tending to Sunny on the couch. Laine climbed into his bed next to Shae and Maddison, noticing that Maddison had retreated into her last sleeping position, drooling slightly. 

The next morning was hot, however it did not heat the coldness that swelled inside of Laine's stomach. The coldness wrapped around him and blanketed him like a sheet of ice. HE couldn't stop thinking about that person that had died. 

But then he turned to see Maddison, and her hair giving off rays of light in the morning sun, and that light melted a bit of the ice in his body. He turned to Shae, who looked solemn, but his skin was reflecting the sunlight and Izabell shadowed her green eyes from the sun, but a fleck of gold caught her iris, and he knew he could move on with them at his side.