Epilogue: A New Normal

Start from the beginning

"Mama-ma-mama."

I smile at the sound of his babbles. I can't lie, I love that mama was the first word. I peek my head into the light blue and gray nursery and find my green-eyed boy wide awake, standing with his hands firmly on the railing of the crib.

"Look at you, daredevil!"

A big toothy-baby smile comes to his little round face.  I quickly move to the window. "Better come in here Alfie, your son is standing on his own..."

I can't see him but I hear his book smack shut, the sound of his chucks hitting the wood porch, door opening and not shutting. Damnit Jax, bees.

"Buddy!" Jax's green eyes light up with a big, proud grin on his face.  I love watching Jax see Wyatt's firsts.  He missed all those with Zo (other than the traumatizing loss of a first tooth) and I know it bothers him.  So it's like all of Wyatt's are extra special.  I'm fairly certain the day this kid does says dada, my husband will melt into a puddle on the floor.

Wyatt lets go of the railing to hold his hands out to Jax and promptly falls back onto his butt with a thump.  Jax rushes over to pick him up before he cries.  I know better.  I can smell that dirty diaper already and that kid just fell flat on his ass.  Jax's face says it all as soon as he picks up his son; he could smell it and realized he had made a terrible mistake.

"Have fun with that, daddy!" I slap Jax on the back and chuckle as I leave the room.

<><><>

Jax.

It is a great night for a birthday party. Cool breeze off the lake, not too warm, not too cold. We took the half-mile up the road by foot to my in-law's house. Zooey and I raced each other there, while Gabby attempted to tucker out Wyatt with a stroller ride.  It worked until she arrived and everyone wanted to hold him. 

Morgan was the first to scoop him up, his giggles filled the living room as she planted a big kiss on his cheek. This kid is a total ladies' man. Between aunt Sydney and aunt Morgan, this kid will be entertained all night. Damn, I wish my kids could have known Courtney, she would have loved them and spoiled them rotten.

"Where's your husband?"

Morgan places another kiss on on Wyatt before motioning with her head to the back patio.  "Dan and Vicky got a sandbox for Emma's birthday.  I think Felix likes it more than the kids.  Can you please tell him that if his daughter comes in full of sand he's giving the bath tonight?  I don't think the heard me he first two times."

"I think I'll let you tell him that." I give her a nod.  I'll stay out of that couple's argument, thank you.

My feet carry me away to the back patio where Dan is standing watching all the blonde women of his life sit around a table out in the yard giggling.  I can't help but to smile at the sight of Vicky, Sydney, Emma, Gabby and Zooey.  They are all so much alike - their looks, their laughs. I finally see Felix in the sandbox with Lucy, both of them covered in sand and looking happy as ever.

Dan turns and gives me a smile before bending over and grabbing a beer from the bucket of ice to his left and handing it to me.  "For my favorite son-in-law."

"Thanks.  I take it Kyle will not be in attendance tonight?"

The smile grows on his face.  Kyle had a real knack for only coming around when he needed something from Sydney, not to see his daughter.  Things must be finally done between them.  Gabby thought Syd would be filing for divorce sooner rather than later.