Chapter 51: The Engagement Party

Gabby.

My car is parked outside of town, my glare focused on a giant sign that says "Welcome to Luxberg - Home of the Lions. Population: 479." Part of me always regretted not crossing my number off seven years ago as I left this shit town.

I twiddle my thumbs against the steering wheel and take deep breaths. I can't just get this far and not drive in, right? Cars, trucks and tractors pass me on the road, waving to me. They don't even know who I am but it's a small town thing, wave at everyone, even if they could be a murderer. Yeah, no, fuck this. I turn my steering wheel all the way to the left and begin my U-turn to get the hell out of here. I'm stopped by a large black familiar truck that takes up both lanes.

"Mother fucker son of a-"

"Those are bad words!" Zo yells from the backseat.

"That's right. So don't listen or repeat them." My cursing continues under my breath as I watch the window of the truck roll down. I mimic the action with my own window and roll my eyes. "You seriously waited for me to roll into town?"

Cole laughs and nods his head. "I knew this would freak you out!"

"I can't do it." My head shakes as I begin to cry. "I can't."

"Two weeks Gabs. You'll hang out with your family, you'll hang out with old friends, you'll marry that guy you love. Then you go home with your family of three. Nothing bad is going to happen. I've been back here for three years, nothing has happened. Two weeks is nothing."

He's right. Two weeks. I can do this.  I give him a nod and roll my window back up.  My car ignores the town speed limit (Okay me, I'm ignoring it.  20mph is absurd) and I make my way through town quickly.

Multiple cars are parked in front of my parent's home, everyone is helping get ready for the party tonight. I do everything in my power to avoid looking at the Parker house. I'm going to lose it if I take one look at it.  I'm not an idiot, I know this is going to happen at some point during this trip but I need it to not happen in front of my daughter.

Cole followed me back into town and begins emptying my car as Zo squirms to get out of her seat. "Grandpa!" She smacks the glass of the window.

"Zo!" He yells back with a chuckle and frees her from the car. Dad picks her up and plants a big kiss on her cheek.

"Hi daddy" I wrap my arm around him and my daughter and I get the same big kiss on my cheek.

"Hi Gabbers. How was your drive?"

"SO LONG!" Zo drops her arms to her side and rolls her eyes.

"Mom's constant phone calls didn't help. Where is she?"

Dad's eyes grow wide as he sets his granddaughter back down. "She is setting up in the backyard. Zo why don't you go find her. She can't wait to see you."

Her bright green eyes look up to me, a silent way of asking for approval. "Go ahead." I point to the side of the house. "Stay away from the woods, okay? Just walk around the house." She runs off quickly. I'm sure my mom will have her working in no time.

"Where's Kane?"

"Your mom gave him a million errands to run so I'm thinking he's at the bar hiding." I smile and nod, knowing that is very likely a true statement. "How bad are you right now?"

I glance up to my dad, his knowing eyes are focused on me. I decide I need to be honest with him. "I'm one glance towards a blue house away from losing my shit."

He puts his hands on my shoulders and turns me to look at it, I dart my eyes towards my car. "Then look now and get it out of your system. Your fiancé isn't home, your mom likely already has your daughter setting tables and your siblings and best friends are busy preparing food. I have beers in the garage for us. So look now, let it out and let it go."