Chapter 17: The Assembly

Gabby.

The following Monday the vibe of school was hard to explain. Something felt off. There were whispers in the hallways of something that had possibly happened at the dance. No one was really sure what, so there were guesses, such as the spiked punch causing an accident. Basically everything at this point was just a rumor, small town gossip.

I wasn't paying attention to anything being said anyways. I was much more focused on getting to class early and getting a seat far from Tyler Porter. There was now a light black, blue and slightly yellow bruise where he had grabbed my arm on Friday night. I was just hoping there was a matching one across his left cheek.

I hadn't seen anyone since prom, other than Felix of course. He had left again last night to return to Cedar Falls for his last few weeks of his sophomore year of college.

I walk to my first period biology class and sit in the back row beside Morgan. Any other day I would sit next to Courtney, but I'm not waiting for her just to have Tyler take her spot beside me, because that is definitely something the jerk would do.

"Why is your dad here today in uniform?" Morgan raises a brow to me. "Did something happen? People are weird today..."

So it's not just me... the vibe is off.

I hadn't seen my dad yet today. He was already gone when Sydney and I left for school.

I shrug my shoulders. "I didn't realize he was here. Did something happen at the dance? I left early..."

"I left early too" her shoulders also give a shrug.

The intercom begins to crackle overhead, pulling our attention away from our conversation, and we hear our principal begin to speak.

"Attention students. This morning we are having an assembly for our ninth, tenth, eleventh, and twelfth grade classes. This will be held during first period and then class will be dismissed for these students for the day. I would like all females of these classes to proceed to the auditorium and all males to proceed to the gymnasium. Thank you."

The crackling halts and Morgan and I look at each other, just as everyone else in the room is doing. They are separating us and then dismissing us? This is not a common occurrence.

This can't be good.

We stand from our seats and pile out of our biology classroom. All the males begin moving to their right, proceeding to the gym and the girls begin walking left to the auditorium. I spot both of my parents standing in the hall and I walk straight to them with Morgan at my heel.

"What's going on?" I look to my dad. "Did something happen at the dance after I left?"

He sighs. "Just go to the assembly Gabs. It won't affect you... I'm so glad you left when you did."

"Jesus me too" my mom shakes her head and places her hand over her mouth.

I find myself confused, because neither of them said anything when they got home from the dance. Felix didn't mention anything either. Nothing was said all weekend. So obviously they had just heard it too.

Morgan and I walk into the auditorium and find Courtney.

"What's going on?" Courtney asks as we sit.

"I have no clue. Something at the dance. You and Felix stayed right? Did you see something happen?"

She shakes her head no with a smile. "Gross Court, I don't want to know what you and Felix did" I laugh.