"Good-bye," Lizzie said, returning the small bow with equal grace.

Charlotte stepped lightly into the curricle, took up the reins and gave the horse the signal. The small vehicle vanished into the mist.

Alexander watched Charlotte leave and then he turned around to pin Anne with a grim glare. He took the pistol box from her hand. "Who are you, boy?"

Anne coughed and pulled her cap down lower over her eyes. She rubbed the back of her hand across her nose and snuffled. "The lady wanted a horse and carriage brought round early this mornin', sir. I borrowed my father's nag and thought I'd make a bit on the side if you know what I mean."

"I will give you a very large bit on the side if you will guarantee to keep your mouth closed about what happened here this morning. But if I hear of this I will see to it that your father loses the horse and the carriage and anything else he owns. Furthermore, he will know that it is your fault he has lost everything.

Do you comprehend me, boy?"

"Very well. You will drive my wife home in the carriage. I will be right behind you. When we reach the house you will pick up a woman who will be waiting there and you will escort her wherever she wishes to go. Then you will disappear from my sight forever."

Anne had a very good idea as to who could have told Alexander about the duel.

"Yes sir."

"Now, Alexander," Lizzie began earnestly, "there is no need to threaten everyone in sight."

Alexander cut her off with a frozen look. "Not one word out of you, madam. I do not yet trust myself to be able to speak to you about this with any semblance of calm." He walked over to the carriage and opened the door. "Get in."

She got into the carriage without another word. Her veiled hat slipped down over one ear as she did so.

When she was seated, Alexander leaned into the carriage to adjust the hat with an annoyed movement of his hand. Then he thrust the pistol case onto Lizzie's lap. Without a word he removed himself from the carriage and slammed the door.

It was undoubtedly the longest ride of her life, Lizzie decided as she sat sunk in gloom in the swaying carriage. Alexander was beyond outrage. He was coldly, dangerously furious. She could only hope that Anne and was spared the worst of it.

The household had just begun to stir when Anne halted the carriage at the front door. The lady, still wearing her black veil, was waiting anxiously in the library when Alexander strode through the door with Lizzie in tow.

"That will be enough," Alexander interrupted as Henery, hastily adjusting his jacket, emerged from the door behind the stairs. He looked perplexed at the sight of Lizzie in breeches.

"Is all in order, my lord?"

"Certain plans that were made for this morning have been canceled unexpectedly, Henery, but you may rest assured that I have everything under control."

"Of course, my lord," Henery said with grand dignity.

It would be worth his job to say a word about this dawn's bizarre hall scene and Henery knew it. It was obvious the master was in one of his dangerous, quiet rages. It was, however, equally obvious that Lord Rothsay was in command of the situation. With a quick, worried glance at Lizzie, Henery discreetly disappeared into the kitchens.

Alexander turned to confront the lady.

"I do not know who you are, madam, and I assume from your veil that you do not wish to make your identity known. But whoever you are, please be aware that I shall be eternally indebted to you. You appear to be the only one who showed any common sense in this entire affair."

"I am known for my common sense, my lord,"she said sadly glancing at Anne. "Indeed, I fear many of my wards find me quite dull because of it."

"If your ward had any sense, themselves, they would cherish you for that quality. Good day, madam. There is a boy with a closed carriage outside who will escort you home.

Do you wish additional company? I can send one of the footmen along with you."

"No. The carriage and lad will be sufficient." The lady glanced in confusion at Lizzie who shrugged faintly.

"Thank you, my lord. I do hope this is the end of the entire affair."

Anne glanced quickly at her the lady.

"You are all right?" the veiled lady demanded in a whisper.

"I am fine, as you can see. Everyone is all right, in fact. Matters would have been even better, however, if you had not felt obliged to intervene."

"I am sorry, Anne, but I could not allow-"

"How could you grandmother?"Anne wailed

Her grandmother said softly "I could not let you endanger your own life. I could never allow you to risk your life in a duel child. I am so sorry but I simply could not allow you to risk getting killed over such a matter. Will you ever forgive me for my interference this morning?"

"As it is Anne , one of your suitors called on your guardian , your uncle today , and on your behalf your uncle accepted the suit . So you are now bethroed and hence you must start behaving with propriety. "