Chapter 7 Seduced by the scoundrel

Seduced by the scoundrel

It soon became obvious to Elizabeth that her husband's temper was not the only thing she had to worry about. For mid-way through the second week of her honeymoon, Lizzie began to fear that she had married a man with a serious problem with his after-dinner port.

Up till the point when she had begun to notice his growing fondness for port after dinner, Lizzie had been fairly certain she could handle the situation. After all, her husband had shown himself to be a man of words only, and as long as she did not instigate him everything would remain under control.

The trick was to control her responses, she knew her husband would never stoop so low as to force himself on her.

But the increasing consumption of port worried her. It added a new and a dangerous element to the already tense situation. She remembered all too well the night when her sister had returned all bruised from one of her nightly assignations and tearfully explained that a gentleman in his cups was capable of bestial behavior. Not to mention the night responsible for her own ruination.

Lizzie silently endured the growing anxiety over the matter of Alexander's port
consumption for several tense evenings before she broached the subject of his heavy drinking.

"Do you have trouble sleeping my lord?" she finally asked in her second week of marriage. They were seated together in the drawing room and Alexander had just poured himself another glass of port.

He regarded her with hooded eyes. "Why do you ask?"

"Forgive me, but I cannot help but notice that your taste for port is increasing in the evenings. Are you accustomed to imbibing alcohol to aid you in getting your sleep?"

He drummed his fingers on the arm of his chair and considered her for a very long moment. "No," he finally said and drank half his glass of port in one gulp. "It disturbs you?"

Lizzie focused her attention from the book in her hand and looked up at her husband. "There are more efficient remedies, you know. If you want I can prepare a mixture of herbs for you to try. I have brought my medicine chest with me."

"Thank you Lizzie, but I believe I shall continue to rely on my port. It understands me and I understand it."

Lizzie's brow rose inquiringly. "What is there to understand in it, my Lord?"

"Do you wish for me to be blunt, madam wife?"

"Of course, you are the one who faces difficulty in discussing certain matters, not I." She was surprised at the question.

"I give you fair warning, this is not a matter you will care to discuss."

"Nonsense, if you are having difficulty sleeping there is a better cure than port."

"On that we agree. The question, my dear, is whether you are willing to provide me with the cure." The lazy, taunting quality of his voice made her realize where their conversation was heading.

"I see," she managed to say calmly. "I had not realized our agreement would cause you so much discomfort."

"I know you have been enjoying your honeymoon so far, but I have been finding it extremely tiresome." He tossed back the remainder of his port. "Damned tiresome! The fact is; our situation is unnatural." He had no intention of staying out of her bed for the next three months. He fully expected to seduce her long before the stipulated time passed.

"I suppose that means you would like to cut our honeymoon short." She sighed with deep regret.

The empty crystal glass snapped between his fingers. Alexander swore. "It means that I would like to make this situation a natural one."