Chapter 10 False Impressions

False Impressions

Alexander heard the bedchamber door open . Hushed feminine voices exchanged words .and then the door closed again .

He stirred slowly . Feeling more lethargic than ever before . His mouth tasted like the inside of a horse stall . He frowned trying to recall just how much port had he consumed during the course of previous evening .

It was an effort to open his eyes . When he finally managed to do so , he was totally disoriented . Apparently the walls of his room had changed color overnight . Then the memories of last night came back to him.

He was in Lizzie's bed

Alexander eased himself up from his pillows , waiting for the rest of what should have been a very satisfying memory to emerge . Nothing came to mind except a faint annoying headache.

Why was it that every time he visited Elizabeth in her bed he woke up with a headache ?

He scowled and rubbed his temples .

It was not possible that he could have forgotten making love to his bride . The anticipation had kept him in aching for too long . He'd been suffering for ten whole days . Surely he should have a more pleasurable recollection

He glanced around the room and saw Lizzie standing near the wardrobe . She was wearing the same dressing gown she wore last night .

He had the irresistible desire to take off her clothes and carry her back to bed .

He pressed his memory and found he could only recall a hazy picture of his wife lying naked on the bed . He also recalled his wife's nervousness and that he had come down beside her in order to reassure her and make her accept him . Her response in the evening had already shown him that she was not immune to his charms .

He had reached for her and ...............................................

Alexander shook his head trying to remove the cobwebs from his memory . Surely he had not fallen asleep . He had been consumed with the need to make Elizabeth his ever since he had kissed her on that fateful night . He could not have forgotten

He pushed back the covers . His thigh touched a stiff portion of the sheet , a damp patch that had dried overnight .

He smiled with relief and satisfaction as he started to glance downward .

But a moment later his sense of satisfaction gave way to a sense of disbelief .

The reddish brown stain on the sheet was far too wide .

Impossibly wide

Monstrously wide

What had he done to his gentle delicate wife .

He knew from experience that a virgin on her wedding night did not bleed like a slaughtered calf

A man would literally have to assault her to produce that kind of damage .