Chapter 2 Rejected!! Unbelievable

Rejected!! Unbelievable 

In the week since the bizarre incident she had often found her thoughts going back to that eventful night. She recalled the feel of his hard body pressing down on hers, the feather light kisses trailing over her neck..... It had been such a glorious feeling, to be loved, to be cherished..... To feel wanted 

But alas it was not to be. And now her whole life had been turned upside down because of it. Another year and she would have been given her inheritance; the amount although small would have been enough for her to live a comfortable life on her own terms. Set up a small school along with old Bess for young women to make them capable to stand on their own feet and not remain properties to be passed from a father to a husband to obey and serve them for life. Bess had been the only person who had loved and comforted her. She had guided her through those tumultuous times, when first she had lost her parents, and then her sister. Comforting her during her awful days. Teaching her the art of healing using herbs. Empowering her with the gift to cure others. And now all was lost. 

She had to avenge Isabelle as well. The very reason she had accepted this invitation to chaperon her cousin to this dreadful house party. So that she will be able to identify the owner of "that" ring. One day she had hoped to succeed in tracking down the man who had seduced and abandoned her sister. 

If she would be forced to marry, no way would her husband permit her to carry on with her investigation. He would most likely banish her to the country once she would bear him his heir. Oh lord what had she gotten herself into .How would she know that he did not have six mistresses and three dozen children hidden away cozily in various parts of London? How did she know he would not turn out to be a wife-beater? And how did he know that she would not turn out to be quite the opposite of what he wanted in a wife-as she would? 

Lizzie cringed at the memory, remembering how after the first moment of stunned silence, mutters and gasps had swelled within the room .Whispering madly, the onlookers had fled to the hall to gather and gossip, leaving her standing alone, left to face the ire of her irate relation whose daughter she was the Chaperon to .Having endured Hildegarde's scandalized tirade several times since her hurried return home she had no intention of reliving it again 

Lizzie's numbness, following her cousin's return to her own bedchamber, had been so absolute it had resulted in her sitting in the window seat all night, staring sightlessly out at the slowly awakening day. It had seemed to her at the time that it was unacceptable that day should follow night, as it usually did, when such a momentous-horrifying!-occurrence was taking place in her own life. To add insult to injury, the sun had come out-as if to shine in blessing upon the union. 

No point now dwelling over the stupid mistake.She had to now find a way out of the mess. 

Alexander Haventhrust, 4th Marquis of Rothsay, the future Duke of Cambridge, stood gazing out of the window, the hopeful view of emerging greenery and delicate blooms fighting back the gloom of the winter had no effect on him. 

He was only aware of his own fate. The trapped sensation he had been feeling over the last week had intensified until he thought he would destroy something preferably with his bare hands. The worst of it was that there was no one to blame but himself. 

The wrong room. The wrong BLOODY room he had moaned to himself a thousandth time. One errant drunken mistake and now his life was in ruins, he had no other choice but to marry the spinster. It was required of him. He may be a rake but he was also gentleman and he would marry the women whose reputation he had destroyed. It was a matter of honour. He had to marry eventually after all he had to sire a son. So any time was as good as now .One woman was good as the other.