Teammates

A/N: Sorry I didn't update when I promised. I have Seasonal Depressive Disorder, and winter hit me really hard this year. Not only that, but I got a new job and school ramped up. But now that school is coming to a close, I will have more time to write. After this chapter, we'll be moving on to more exciting story arcs. I'm personally really excited for the Chunin Exams. 

"Congratulations, (Y/N)." I sit on the back porch with Grandad. He sips his tea next to me. "Kakashi has high expectations. It's not easy to pass his test."

"No one's passed, Grandad. I think that's pretty hard," I turn the little fan sitting next to us on a setting higher.

"You still managed it, though."

"Somehow," I gaze at the flowers in Grandad's garden. We sit in silence for a while, listening to the birds.

"The new Ino-Shika-Cho team passed as well," Grandad says. He takes another sip of his hot tea. "And Squad 8."

I feel my jaw drop. "Kiba's team passed too? That's awesome!"

He nods "Yes. His team will be led by Kurenai Yuhi, and Team 10 will be led by a cousin of mine, Asuma Sarutobi. Both are very capable ninja."

"That's cool," I think for a moment and the birds continue to sing. "Hey, how do you know all this stuff already? The teams were just tested this morning."

Grandad smirks. "I have my ways."

I frown. "That's a crap answer, you know."

"Oh, I know very well." He sips his tea again. "You learn to give answers like that when you work long enough as a ninja." He stares out at the bright flowers. "We should take the passing teams out to barbeque tonight, as a celebration."

I look at him confused. "That came out of nowhere. Why do you want to do that?"

He puts his mug down. His face is serious, or a little sad all of the sudden. "I did the same for your mother's team when she passed her test years ago. I wanted to do the same for you. Besides, you won't be able to visit you friends as much after your first mission."

I ponder this for a few minutes. "Are you sure? You'll be paying for ten" I think for a moment, counting on my fingers, "eleven people. And one of those people is Choji, and he eats enough for three people. Do you want to pay for that much food?"

He smiles again. "I know their parents. I can get money out of them whenever I need to."

I glare at him. "You are just the worst."
"Oh, I know very well," Grandad picks up his tea and sips it again.

                                                                  * * *

I follow Grandad to through the Village to a little ninja post. It sits in a forested area, away from the major development. All around us are the chirping of birds and the occasional rustle of leaves. The main area is a little more than a few bird cages stacked on top of each other to create pillars. Two Chunin ninjas walk around monitoring the birds' constant in and out.

"This is how ninjas communicate within the Leaf," he nods to one of the Chunin and opens a door to one of the cages. He pulls out a little bird with a tiny canister attached to its leg. "Once you become a Chunin, you will be assigned a bird. When sent, it will always come to your location, and always return to this post. It will fly nowhere else. This is also how you will receive notifications for new missions from the Hokage." He takes a little rolled up slip of paper and places it in the canister. He raises the bird into the air and lets it fly off.

"But we aren't Chunin yet," I say as I watch the bird fly away.

"That's right," he takes out another bird. "These will be sent to their parents. They can relay the message. That's why I need you to do something for me." He releases another bird. "I need you to find Naruto and Sasuke. As they are wards of the state, I can't contact them this way."