James on Trains

I sat back in my seat, inside wanting nothing more than to jump up and apprehend the man.

Jesse James, the outlaw I had spent years trying to track down was only a few rows in front of me on the train.

But I was here on reconnaissance, nothing more. At least, my boss had told me as much.

I studied the man's body language, hoping to find a clue as to who his associates were. Yet he acted as though nothing was wrong, as if he was a single passenger traveling on an innocent  business trip.

A man walked past me toward the front of the car, obstructing my view. I leaned forward slightly to keep sight of Jesse, but the man stopped momentarily by the outlaw. He passed him a piece of paper and continued walking.

I patted my hidden gun for reassurance. I wasn't sure what that paper said, but I wasn't taking any chances.

Jesse unfolded the paper and studied the writing, then crumpled it up and swallowed it. After a few moments, he looked around. I averted my eyes toward the window as he stood up and began walking.

But his footsteps suddenly stopped. I glanced back and jumped a little. Jesse James was right beside me.

He grinned, showing off his yellowed teeth. "Care to take a stroll?" he asked.

Had that note tipped him off? Did he know who I was? Before I had time to respond, however, two men appeared beside him, arms crossed. That was when I realized the question wasn't an offer. It was a command.

Sighing, I stood up and glanced around nervously before following the outlaw. Surely he couldn't really know who I was, anyway.

Jesse opened the door at the back of the cabin and a cool wind rushed in. He scrambled up the train's exterior. One of the men behind me nudged me to follow.

Cautiously, I stepped outside the cabin and reached upward for the door's frame. I planted my feet on the railing and pulled upward.

Don't look down. Don't look down.

I wrapped my arms around the top of the train, gasping for breath. The train suddenly hit a rut and I lost my grip. I reached out for something to hold on to, but the train's exterior was too smooth. I tumbled backward....

And a hand grabbed mine.

Gasping, I looked upward to see the outlaw holding on. He gritted his teeth and pulled me upward until I was able to shimmy onto the rooftop. Unsteadily, I stood up on the roof of the moving train.

The two other men soon made it onto the roof, surrounding me.

"Why save me if you're just planning to kill me anyway?" I shouted over the howling wind.

Jesse James shook his head. "I know who you are. And you're right, I'm going to kill you. First, though, I need some information."

One of the men gripped my arms and I tried to yank them away, but he was too strong.

Jesse began pacing back and forth. I felt my heart rate rise as I realized how horrible of a situation this truly was.

"Who do you work for?" the outlaw asked.

I shook my head. "You must think I am a fool to believe that I would tell you."

Jesse snapped his fingers, and the man pushed me toward the edge of the train. The ground rushed by far below. If I fell, I was a goner.

"Who is your employer?" he asked again, this time mere inches from me.

I swallowed and gritted my teeth. "I won't tell."

Jesse sighed and waved a hand. The man twisted my arm further behind my back and I cried out in pain. He forced me down onto my knees and pressed my torso off the edge. I inhaled deeply and closed my eyes, mouthing a prayer.

"Do you want to tell me now?"

Jesse James didn't mess around. I had heard enough stories to know that much. And I had pushed him to his limits. The only options now were to die or tell the truth.

Maybe I would die either way, but at least I could do my part.

"No."

Jesse clicked his tongue, but instead of ordering my death hauled me back up onto the roof. I frowned and cocked my head.

"You're a stubborn one. But I can crack anyone." He turned his back on me and began walking the length of the train. "That's right, you're coming with-"

I whipped out the gun I had been hiding and shot at Jesse.

To my astonishment, however, at the same time I pulled out my gun Jesse had, too. His bullet collided with mine, and they both exploded and collapsed.

The outlaw whirled around and grinned, but I was alright fighting. I shoved one of the men off the roof. The sickening crack of bone was lost to the wind, however.

The other man swiped at me, and I ducked his blow. I kicked him in the groan and he doubled over. I brought my knee to his nose, and blood gushed out. Finally, I pushed him off the train, too.

I turned to Jesse, expecting a look of panic. But instead, he appeared calm. Delighted, in fact.

I pointed my gun at his head. "It's over, Jesse. Drop the gun and put your hands up where I can see them."

Jesse chuckled and shook his head. "It won't do any good. We'll both be dead in moments."

"What do you mean?" I questioned.

"Oh, it's a little toy called dynamite," the outlaw responded.

He really was deranged. I opened my mouth to say something, but there was loud boom before I could. The entire train careened sideways, and the gun fell from my hand and skittered off the roof.

But that was the least of my worries. I was about to fall off, too. My feet fell out from under me, and I slid sideways. I gripped onto the metal siding, trying to get my bearings.

There was a giant hole in one of the passenger cars. Dynamite.

The train blew its whistle one final time before tipping on its side. I released the siding and collided with the ground, rolling to prevent something from breaking.

When I came to a stop, I coughed and blinked, trying to see anything through the dust. A figure approached me.

Jesse James.

Although limping, he was alive and had a gun. And it was pointed right at me.

I tried to sit up, but a bolt of pain shot through my right leg. I cried out, but the outlaw just laughed.

He raised the gun toward my temple and shook his head.

The last thing I heard was the crack of a gun.