Chapter 64: The Return to Lake Lux

Start from the beginning

"I know where they are..." he nods as if she can see him.  "They were with the books under her bed..."

We don't have time for this. I don't care about some fucking cups. I need to call Kane again. I need him to answer me.

"I need to go!"

"It was hazing, Gabby! The football team... years of it.  They wouldn't give you the ball unless you proved you lost your virginity.  That's why they raped us.  Felix told Courtney all about it. The cups, he wants the cups back! Courtney found them at the bar and stole them! She was going to the police..."

The feeling of sinking hits me. Hazing? Cups? Felix told Courtney? Nothing was making sense and I didn't have time to figure it out.

"Gabby, I couldn't find the cups! I'm so sorry! I was scared! That's what he wanted... the cups! I'm so, so sorry!"

The phone goes blank; she ended the call.  Lily's terrified voice has disappeared.  He wants the cups

"Does she mean Kane?  Kane wants cups?  That's why he killed Courtney?"

"I know where they are. We need to stop at my house..."Jax floors the pedal again, zooming us past the school and down the lane to our homes.

"We don't have time for these fucking cups, Jax!  He has Zo!"

"He has Zooey and wants the cups, we give him the fucking cups!" He responds angrily.  I see him losing it, his control.  His anger is overtaking him now.  The anger of Courtney, of Zo, there's no holding him back this time.  He's seeing red.

My dad continues his conversation with dispatch, giving them all the information on Kane and his possible whereabouts. 

My head is flooded with the images of the last time the three of us where here.  The screams, the fear, the running, trails of blood.  He wouldn't really hurt Zooey, would he?  How could anyone hurt her?

Jax slams on the brakes in front of his house, causing the car to hydroplane and spin a bit before he brings the car to its complete stop.  The car door is thrown open and he runs as fast as he can towards the house.

"Your house is locked!" I run after him, becoming instantly soaked from the rain. 

He doesn't answer me, he isn't even listening to me.  He grabs a massive cement planter filled with rhododendrons from the front porch of his house and tosses it through the bay window, shattering it into thousands of tiny shards. Within seconds he has disappeared into the dark home.

I hear the car door behind me and see my dad take off for the woods, phone pressed to his ear. "You two take the road!" he calls back to me.

How the hell are we supposed to do that?

"Gabby, get back in the car!" Jax reemerges holding a clear plastic bag and his EpiPen and tosses them into the car.

"We can't get in there! The gate!" I motion to it. "We have to take the woods again!"

"Get in the fucking car!" He yells again. This is not up for debate. I run to the passenger seat and get in quickly.

"Put on your seatbelt and hold on."

I look back to him with wide eyes. What the hell is he going to do?

He puts the car into reverse back down the lane, the opposite direction of the woods. I do what he says and put on my seatbelt with urgency.  We are almost all the way back to the school before he brakes.

"Jax?!"

He doesn't look at me, he throws the shifter into drive and floors it. The tires spin for a bit on the flooded roadway before the car flies forward. The gate to the old roadway gets closer and closer... the car goes faster and faster... he has no intent on stopping.