From my left, a voice tickles my ear. "Well Sophie, you don't want to wake both of our mates, now do ya?"

I turn and see Shelby, she looks at me for a second before going back to leaning over the banister, looking out over the bottom level of the house.

"Oh, there you are," I softly remark, walking over towards her. Shelby makes room for me and I join at her side. "So, Shelby, how, uh, how's Ace doing?"

Looking over at me with a look I don't recognize, Shelby replies. "Doing better, he's resting comfortably now, only time will tell if there's any lasting damage or if he'll even pull through."

I nod understandingly.

"What about your end, how's Heather?"

"Very good. She and Cody had twins, a boy, and a girl,"

"I knew something was off. One must've been hiding behind the other. I actually heard the second heartbeat after you pulled the first baby out, that's what clued me in."

Turning my attention back to why I came up here looking for her in the first place, I say. "Listen Shelby, the reason why I came looking for you is, one of your new pack members is really worried, he and the rest of the Ruby Stone pack want to meet you."

"I'm not going down there, Sophie," She replies turning back to face the banister, adding. "Or, at least not yet."

With a look of confusion sprouting on my face, I ask. "Okay, why?"

Before she can get it out of her mouth, I feel the reason come from her connection. Shelby can't hide her true emotions anymore, not with our packs linked like this.

"Because just for the time being Sophie, my attention's going to be focused on Ace and making sure he gets better. Meeting the pack can wait till then"

Feeling that there's more to it than that, I'm about to push Shelby for more, but she shoots me a look saying she wants to change the subject. I decide to just let it go.

"So, I was in my office, reading up on your mark, and found something I wanted to ask you about."

"What?" Shelby asks, turning back to face me.

"Is it true that, since you have that mark, you can no longer be harmed by anything mate of Silver?"

Shelby's face changes completely and she relaxes somewhat. "That's correct, I can no longer be harmed by silver. I know, your aunts tested it." "I mean, she hasn't gone so far as shooting me with a silver bullet, but she has tried. No pain, not even an ounce."

Shelby's face turns shadow again and she sighs. Placing one arm on the rail, Shelby then turns around and looks at me.

"I lost my wolf, and do you know what the worst part of it is Sophie?" "The worst part of it was and is, that I couldn't do anything to help her." "Man, my wolf must've thought I was so useless to her," Shelby adds, after letting out another, this time deeper sigh.

"I might not have told you the whole truth Shelby," says a voice coming from behind us.

Turning our heads in sync, the both of us look and find aunt Sherry standing up against the wall. She starts calmly walking over towards us.

Even though she's my aunt and I love her and all she's done, I'm starting to think we need to put a bell on her.

"How do you mean, Doctor Sherry?"

"I mean, I didn't tell you the whole story," my aunt replies." "At the time, you were too young to understand."

Before Shelby has time to open her mouth, my aunt cuts her off, raising her hand for a moment before putting it back down at her side.