𝟐𝟐 | 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐂𝐡𝐮𝐧𝐢𝐧 𝐄𝐱𝐚𝐦𝐬: 𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐓𝐰𝐨

Start from the beginning

"You had that comin'," I say pointedly, trying hard to hide my concern from his potential injury. Jeez, he just doesn't know when to quit...

"I-It doesn't sound to me like she's in love with you, Boss," Konohamaru mumbles, shrinking away from Sakura's cold stare felt from a few meters away.

"Ouch..." Groaning in obvious pain, Naruto clambers out from the hole in the tree, head in his hand. "V-Very funny, Konohamaru, but trust me – she is!"

"What about her?" Moegi asks, sounding eager to continue the interview when she suddenly points at me. I look to my friend.

"Yeah, Naruto. What about me?" I challenge. As he reclaims his seat, he easily shakes off his injury and smiles.

"This is Kari Yamada! She's new to the village. She always buys me things to eat or cooks for me whenever I'm hungry." I'm surprised to see him take on a distant look. "Kari was also... the first person to really want to be my friend." My lips part as Naruto's smile widens. "I'm really grateful!"

"Naruto..."

Thinking back to all the stories he'd told me, where he'd once painted over the Hokage Monument, or when he'd emptied everyone's garbage into their street, and even when he'd protected Hinata from being bullied when they were kids but was still shunned by the family members that retrieved her – it truly is a wonder to me how such a big and amazing world can be so cruel.

"Naruto, I'll always be your friend," I tell him firmly, finally smiling back, "no matter what! Besides, you're the very first friend I'd ever made when I got here. It just really means so much to me that—"

"Back to the interview!" Konohamaru interrupts loudly. "Save the mushy stuff for your own time!"

Naruto clears his throat in response.

"Well, putting all that other stuff aside, our squad is a well-oiled machine that can succeed in any mission, no matter how dangerous!"

"I don't think plucking weeds and picking up some garbage really counts toward the "dangerous missions" we've had," I mutter, "but you kept trying to show up Sasuke, which made the missions dangerous, so that's all on you!"

"Yeah, yeah, yeah! Even still! I had time to teach even the Hokage a few lessons, too!"

"All you did was transform into a naked lady and give him a couple of nosebleeds."

"I don't think this material is appropriate for the article," Konohamaru interjects.

Naruto groans. "Fine. Then what do you want to talk about?"

"How about the first time you met me?" he suggests.

"Oh, yeah – how did you two meet?" I ask. "I doubt it was a coincidence."

"Actually, it kind of was a coincidence," Naruto admits.

"Really?" His little friend smiles at me, confirming his words.

"Don't forget about Iruka-sensei," Naruto adds. "Before Kari came around, he was the only one who was ever nice to me, and I sure did drive him crazy!"

"To put up with that for so long on his own," I say with a giggle. "He's a tough nut to crack!"

"Believe it!"

"The whole article can't be about you, Boss!" Konohamaru all but screeches at him.

"Oh, I guess you're right." Naruto rubs the back of his head, laughing. "I guess I could tell you a few stories of how Sasuke screwed up?"

"I've already heard those stories, Boss!" he reminds him. "Can't you talk about anyone but you?"