Our Prince Has Awakened

Start from the beginning

"Please, you are confused. Let me help you," Eowyn said, gently, turning him towards her. He was confused. Why is he not letting her help him? Why is he not trusting her? Why should he keep the mark a secret? Why did he ever keep the mark a secret? Where was Forn? Finally, Legolas released the tension from his shoulders in defeat. He handed the glove to her with his injured hand, but kept his good hand pressed to his chest. 

"Would you like me to replace it?" She asked carefully, holding her hand out for him to place his into so she could slip his hand back into it. 

"I am... I am afraid that I do not... understand," Legolas responded, his eyes held frustration and Eowyn could see that. She thought carefully before rephrasing her question.

"Do you wish for me to put the glove back over your hand?" She said again, with a soft smile on her face. This time Legolas understood, but slowly shook his head. 

"Please... I need to find... need to find my friends." Suddenly his confusion seemed to momentarily clear and panic flew across his face. "I need to get out of here!" He exclaimed, searching around for an exit, he saw the door, and quickly made his way towards it. 

"Wait! Legolas, please, wait! You cannot go out there!" Eowyn cried. The sound of distress in her voice was the only thing that got him to stop moving. "You are a prisoner here, please, you are still ill, if you stay in here I can continue caring for you. If you leave this room they will throw you in the dungeon!" Slowly, Legolas turned around. 

"My friends, are they trapped in this dungeon of yours?" He spoke slowly, but Eowyn could tell that whatever was causing him trouble with her language had faded.

"I am afraid so, however, if you go looking for them there, you will be thrown in a separate cell and allowed no contact. Please, you still need care, you cannot leave this room."

"Can you deliver a letter?"

~*~

It was very dark in the dungeon when Eowyn approached. She carried a small bundle with her and had a crumpled piece of parchments tucked under her arm. She knelt down in front of the cell, carefully undoing the bundle, revealing a small loaf of bread. She carefully broke it in half, not making eye contact with Aragorn. She took the parchment from under her arm and placed half of the loaf on top of it. She slid it through a gap in the door before glancing around and fishing a quill and some ink from her pocket and sliding it under the door as well. She then got up and headed over to a different cell, Aragorn assumed it was to feed Gimli. 

He turned to tear into the bread when he noticed that the parchment held writing. Aragorn quickly shoved the bread into his mouth, shaking the crumbs off of the paper so he could read it. He gave a cry of joy when he realized the writing on the letter was not in the common tongue and nearly cried when he saw the signature. 

Confusion laced the letter, Aragorn realized. The curse had affected his friend more than he would have liked to admit. The gaps in his memory were concerning, but on the back of the paper, Aragorn did his best to quickly explain everything he was missing. 

"Gimli!" Aragorn cried, unable to keep this wonderful discovery secret any longer. A gruff response came from some cell that Aragorn could not see. "Our prince has awakened!" He called and Aragorn could hear the happiness that came from the cry Gimli gave. 

Suddenly Eowyn reappeared, holding her hand out quietly. Aragorn crept forward and placed the borrowed things back into her hand. She took them without a word and vanished up the stairs. Aragorn could not keep the smile off his face, his happiness blinding him to the one detail he forgot to mention in the letter.

~*~

Legolas read the letter that was returned to him, pacing across the room as Eowyn watched him with tired eyes. This was the third time he had read the letter, trying to fill in the gaps that plagued his memory.