The Council of Elrond

"Strangers from distant lands, friends of old. You have been summoned to answer the threat of Mordor. Middle-Earth stands on the brink of destruction. You will unite or you will fall. Each race is bound to this fate, this one doom," Lord Elrond said. Legolas hung on his every word. "Bring forth the ring Frodo." A Hobbit, scurried forward, placing a ring in the center of a table. Legolas felt his eyes drawn to the ring, as if it were begging for him to take it. But Legolas ignored this urge, after sharing emotions with a dragon, it is easier to ignore urges.

"So it is true," The man of Gondor, Boromir, said, he too was staring at the ring. In a dream, I saw the Eastern sky grow dark, but in the West pale and lingered. Voices crying and doom was near at hand." The man shifted towards the ring. "Isildur's bane is found... Isildur's bane...." He inched closer and closer to table that held a tiny ring, reaching for it. Elrond stood from his chair with a shout while Gandalf began speaking.

"Boromir!" Elrond yelled, but his words almost went unheard under the speech of Gandalf.

The sky grew dark, thunder rumbled, uneasy looks were thrown, Legolas clutched his head, the words affecting him. Gandalf stood from his chair still speaking the foul words.

Little one! Forn cried. Whom is hurting you so I know who to rip from limb to limb.

Ignore it Forn, I am not hurt in the matter that needs your protection. Go back to sleep, it will make you happier if it happens again.

I woke because of you, I cannot sleep on command.

"Never before has any voice utter the words of that tongue here in Imladris," Elrond stated sitting down shakily once it stopped. Gandalf walked forward and Legolas opened his eyes, the pain gone with the words.

"I do not ask you pardon, Master Elrond. For the Black Speech of Mordor is heard in every corner of the West. The Ring is altogether evil." Gandalf shot a glare at everyone before returning to his seat.

"It is a gift," Boromir said. "A gift to the foes of Mordor. Why not use this Ring? Long has my father, the steward of Gondor, kept the forces of Mordor at bay." He was standing now, pacing in front of the council. He was passionate, Legolas could give that to him. "By the blood of our people are your lands kept safe," He was still going, pacing and waving his finger at some of the council.  "Give Gondor the weapon of the enemy! Let us use it against him!"

"You cannot wield it," Aragorn said causing Boromir to turn. "None of us can, the One Ring answers to Sauron alone, it has no other master."

"And what would a ranger know of this matter?" Boromir turned to the Ranger, his eyes cold and hard.

"This is no mere Ranger," Legolas said, standing from his seat and approaching Boromir so the man was now facing him. "He is Aragorn, son of Arathorn." Although Legolas spoke softly, he tried to make his voice hold power, so Boromir would listen to him as he spoke. "You owe him your allegiance." Boromir turned to Aragorn.

"Aragorn," He said, breathless. Aragorn had no expression, just met Boromir's eyes. "This is Isildur's heir?"

"And heir to the throne of Gondor."

"Havo dad, Legolas. " Legolas remained standing for a moment before he turned his back on Boromir and sat down.

"Gondor has no king," Boromir sneered at Legolas before turning back to Aragorn. "Gondor needs no king," He stated as he walked back to his seat. He sat and the council was silent for a moment.

"Aragorn is right," Gandalf spoke up. "We cannot use it."

"You have only one choice," Elrond said. "The Ring must be destroyed."