Bonding ~ Elrond's Message

Everyone is meant to fly. Those were the words that convinced Legolas to get the saddle built and now it was. He strapped the leather contraction into the hollow of her shoulderblades before climbing into it and strapping his legs down.

Ready, little one? Forn asked. Legolas doubled checked everything, making sure he would be able to defend himself and that he wouldn't fall off.

Yes. With that small word of approval Forn leaped into the air. She couldn't fly for very long since her wing was still healing, although the healers worked on it almost constantly (dragons are very different o heal from elves). She flew straight up, the wind pressing against them so strongly, Legolas could feel his eyes watering. Once she reached a point that she deemed high enough, she coasted, spiraling down and letting Legolas get a look from the world from above. 

Their house was finished, Legolas could see it from where he was. They were living there together, the floor large enough for Forn to lay stright, tail to nose. Above in a little loft area was a bed for Legolas, but he barely used it. He instead lay the padding on the ground as Forn draped a wing over him. Both of them preferred this arrangement. 

When Forn landed, they were met by an angry king. 

"What were you thinking Legolas?" Thranduil growled. "You put both yours and Forn's life in danger, what if you were seen?" Legolas turned away from his father unstrapping the saddle from Forn's back.

"I was thinking that I wanted to fly, Ada. No one besides the residents of Mirkwood saw us." But Thranduil didn't listen to his son's words, only turned to Forn.

"And what were you thinking Forn? Putting Legolas in danger for a short flight?" Thranduil threw his hands up in exasperation as Forn bowed her head in shame. "Be more careful." With those final words Thranduil turned on his heel and left them. 

"You need not take such a beating from him," Legolas said walking over to their shared house. Forn was guiltily crawling behind him.

I put you in danger, I deserved the verbal thrashing. Forn dropped to the floor with a hug, curling up into a tight circle. Why did I not think of the potential dangers?

"Do not be so hard on yourself Forn, my father is over exaggerating. I can think of no one who would wish harm upon us." 

That is because they do not know we exist. Legolas had no response. 

~*~

"A message from Lord Elrond?" Legolas questioned. 

"Yes, I wish for you to go as my representative. However I do not want Lord Elrond to know of Forn's connection to you, therefore I will only allow her to come if she promises to stay hidden in the clouds," Thranduil explained. Legolas nodded. "And make sure to wear your gloves, that too would give it away." Legolas sighed.

"Of course... Am I allowed to ride Forn? We will go much faster than horseback, she can drop me off and I will walked the rest of the way to Rivendell," Legolas asked. "Please, she will be offended if I do not." 

"I suppose so, although you are in charge of the cover story when they ask why you have not arrived on horseback."

"They may not ask, Ada." Thranduil only shook his head and dismissed his son. 

~*~

Legolas strapped his supplies to Forn's saddle. She wasn't being very helpful, refusing to stand up as he got them both ready to leave. He had given up asking though and just did it himself, only asking her to stand so he could strap the saddle on. 

"You know you will have to keep the saddle on. It will raise questions if I walk in with it." Forn didn't answer him. "What has gotten you upset?" Legolas finally asked.