Chapter 4 - Jump

Beginne am Anfang

Jeremy had his suspicions about whether or not Tony was telling the truth. He’d make sure tomorrow that Tony kept his mouth shut. He smiled as he pulled his car into the carport. This might get messy, but in the end, he would win. That’s all he cared about.

***************************************************

Annalee Phillips answered the door for the detectives today. She was so full of grief she couldn’t stand to be conscious. The boys, Bryan Jr. and Mikey, she sent to her mom for a few days while she made arrangements for two funerals. At that thought, she started crying again. Her doctor had given her some anti-anxiety medication and muscle relaxers and recommended a family member not leave her side for the next few weeks. Her sister, Lizbeth, had been by her side since the news of Bryan reached her.

“Detective Graves. Please, come in.” She was trying to be accommodating. She just wanted to climb into bed, curl up with Bryan’s pillow and sob until she awoke again. “What can I do for you today?”

“Well, I still need to ask questions. First of all, let me offer my condolences to you and your family.”

“Thank yew verah much. I wanna 'pologize for not bein' forthcomin' tha other day. Truth is, I was sceared outta mah wits. My husband was hidin' in the closet. I din’t want him to get arrested. He was the last one ta see my daughter alive. It looked bad: real bad. Now he’s....” she couldn’t help herself. She was trying to be strong.

“I am going to make this as painless as possible. I just have a few questions. I won’t keep you log.”

An hour and a half later, Natasha finally left. She’d received Joe’s call about the team, but had to let it go to voice mail. She would get back with him later. The information the widow Phillips offered was good and she was a lot closer to finding her man.

She dialed her voicemail and listened to Joe’s message. “Adam, Matt and Terry are on their way now. Will and I will be there tomorrow. I don’t know if the other ladies can make it, but we should be able to handle this. We’ll meet you at the hospital in two hours.” That call had come in only half an hour into the interview. She headed for County General.

Her phone rang again. “Hey babe.” Ah, his voice was sweet honey right now. “How goes the investigation?”

“Slow, dear, very slow; I could sure use a hug from you right now.”

“Soon, honey, very soon. Hey, I figured you haven’t been exactly glued to the news lately, but there’s a huge Tropical Storm headed for Georgia. It’s supposed to be almost 150 plus miles from the center. It’s going to be at least 300 miles wide. I don’t know how accurate that is, but I thought you should know. It’s approaching Hurricane status with a quickness.” Lee was right: she hadn’t heard about it.

“Lee: what does this mean for us? We’re two hours inland from the coast.”

“It means you could see some pretty fierce stuff. You’re not far from the river, and if I’m correct, those have travelled upriver before.” He sounded so concerned.

“Thanks honey. The team is coming out to help with security. Is Max in on this too?”

“I don’t know. I know he’s on leave of some sort. You might see him.” Lee was holding back; Natasha could hear it in his voice. “Lee: what are you NOT telling me?” He laughed.

“I guess you have to wait and see, huh? I love you. I have to go now. I’ll give you a call tonight. Don’t work too hard, okay?”

“Okay. I love you too!”

*********************************************

The guys and Terry were already in the lobby of the third floor when she got there. After five minutes of hugs and how-do-you-do’s, they got down to business.