Chapter 25 : Homecoming

Skylar's POV

2 weeks later

"He'll be here any minute now." I thought to myself, scurrying around my room while putting on my earrings.

Our school had won the homecoming game that took place yesterday and the dance was now soon to begin. Jonah was already on his way to come and pick me up. While I added some last touches to my outfit and makeup, there was a loud knock on the door.

"Shoot that's him. What do I say? What will he say- never mind it's Jonah, it's pretty obvious what he's gonna say.. ugh Skylar just get the damn door." A small wave of panic randomly came over me for no reason as a million thoughts popped into my mind. I turned the doorknob to see a grinning Jonah and in his hand a corsage.

"Oh wow... you look gorgeous.." Jonah mumbled, his cheeks turning pink ever so slightly.

"I- you don't look too bad yourself." I managed to say after a long glance at him. Even if I didn't want to admit it, he did look nice without a doubt. We both stood there for a solid minute until Jonah finally spoke up, clearing his throat.

"Shall we?"

-

"Oh wow, the school actually tried this year.." I commented as we stepped into the building. Lights were shining everywhere, balloons were attached to stands, and everyone had already arrived, filling the dance floor.

The night began and as it went on, Jonah and I had loads of fun from just making fun of each other, dancing, and being completely comfortable with one another.

"You're annoying you know that right?" I mentioned to him.

"Yeah, you've told me that before many times, yet you still decide to hang out with me daily." He shrugged.

"That's because- ugh, just shut up." I rolled my eyes. Jonah chuckled.

"Hey, stay right here and I'll go and get us some drinks." He suggested. I nodded in agreement and watched him turn and walk off.

"Surprise!!" I jumped from hearing the sudden voice behind me. I turned around to see Emma, in a short light blue dress, doing jazz hands with the brightest smile stretched across her face. After processing the fact that she was in front of me, I gave her a huge hug.

"You actually showed up- I'm surprised." I let out a laugh.

"Of course I came, with Jack obviously." Her eyes twinkled when she mentioned Jack's name. Not too long ago, Jack and her finally made it official and she's been happier since. I smiled at the thought. They were cute together. One true pair.

"Sooo, why're you standing here alone?" She pried.

"Jonah went to go get some drinks. He'll be back soon."

"Good, that gives us enough time to talk- so spill, how are things?"

I looked at her, my eyebrows knitted. "What do you mean? Things are fine and I'm happy." She gave me a look, showing me that she didn't believe a thing I was telling her. "Well what do you want me to say?"

"I meant how are things between you and Jonah, idiot. You guys have gotten really close recently. Like really really close."

"Oh.. like I said, things are fine. We're still friends." I flashed her a half-hearted smile.

"Yeah, no sh*t. Cause people who are 'just friends' go on dates and kiss each other and ask each other out to school dances." Emma stated sarcastically.

"You sound pathetic, Emma. I told you, we're just friends." I denied. The thought of Jonah and I together seemed stupid to me. We were both just friends who messed around and teased each other... right?

"No Sky, you're the one who sounds pathetic right now. I've seen the way you guys look and talk about each other. There's obviously some sort of spark." She argued.

I shook my head. "I have no idea what you're talking about."

Emma sighed and placed her hand on my shoulder as I looked down at my shoes. "Sky, I've known you for 10 years and now we're 17. Don't you think I would know if.. I don't know.. a boy has been on you're mind late-"

I cut her off. "Yes- yes you would Emma. But I don't know what I'm supposed to say in a situation like this because this whole time I've been brushing it off and not believing my own guts since I was so determined by the fact that I wouldn't fall for another boy so soon but and now here I am, not wanting to admit the fact that I think I like Jonah because-"

"Skylar- you just did." She grinned.

There was a long pause of silence. I looked up into her blue eyes. "What?"

"You finally admitted that you like Jonah." She giggled while teasingly poking my shoulder.

"You've gotta be kidding me." I groaned and buried my face in my hands.

"Oh, come on, we both knew it was true anyways. Beside, I'm glad you finally did. It feels good to open up doesn't it?"

I sighed and smiled. "I guess it does. Now what do I do?"

"Go tell him, duh."

"No way- I can't do that." I shook my head. There's no way I could do that. What would I even say? Would he care? Probably not..

"Why not? He obviously likes you back- maybe even since the day he met you."

"You think so?" I questioned. Emma nodded.

"You must be really stupid Skylar if you haven't noticed the way he looks at you. Now go find your boyfriend and tell him. I'm gonna get back to Jack." She winked and walked off without giving me a chance to say anything.

Wow. I like Jonah- who would've thought..

Just as I was getting lost in my own thoughts, there was a light tap on my shoulder. I turned around to see Jonah standing right behind me with a small smile across his face and a cup in each of his hands.

"Oh.. you're back.. haha." I smiled awkwardly. Seeing his face now was like seeing a different person all of a sudden. His eyes, they usually changed hues depending on the light so right now they were a deep, deep brown. His hair, I never really thought about it but I liked it. It was neat on the sides and met at the top nicely while a few stray hairs fell onto his forehead. His jawline was perfectly chiseled, creating a sharp effect.

"Yeah.. I am- uh, Sky? Skylar, you're staring.." Jonah waved his hand in front of my face, snapping me back into reality.

"What- sorry.." I mumbled, feeling my cheeks heat up.

"Nah, it's alright.. I found it cute anyways." He chuckled, causing me to blush even more.

Why does he have this sudden effect on me ugh..

"Hey, do you maybe.. wanna dance?" He asked, scratching the back of his neck.

I giggled. "Jonah, we already did."

"No, I mean actually dancing.. like.. slowly.."

"Oh.. yeah, sure." I took his hand as he lead me back to the dance floor. His big hands rested on my waist as mine found their way around the back of his neck and intertwined. It all felt.. right. Just the two of us. We continued to sway to the music for quite a while before Jonah cleared his throat and looked straight into my eyes.

"Skylar, can we talk?"