Chapter 1 : First Day

Beep! Beep! Beep!

I forced my eyes to open up, turning my head to look at the time.

6:00 am.

I groaned. It was the first day of school and that was last place I wanted to go to at the moment.

My best friend, Emma, had transferred schools since she moved houses over the summer. Now, she won't be by my side at graduation. No one at my school could ever replace Emma. She always cheered me up.

Over summer break, my grandfather passed away and my whole family was devastated. Emma gave me space and comforted me when necessary. She was there for me.

Then a little more than 3 weeks ago I broke up with Ethan, my ex. We dated for a year and a half until I found out that he was cheating on me with one of the school's most brattiest girls, Madison Lewis.

It felt like it took forever to get over the breakup, and to be honest, I'm still only 99% over it, but Emma bought me all the pizza and ice cream one could possibly imagine and we sorta got through it together. School's gonna be hard to survive without her (at least she lives a bit close still).

I dragged myself out of bed and went straight to the bathroom. Once I was out, I made my way to my closet and did my everyday makeup routine, right after. As I went down the stairs and walked into the kitchen, I saw my Mom, who was ready and just about to leave for work. She was barely home most of the time due to her job and had somehow managed to stay at home the past week, but she was now leaving once again.

My dad left us for someone else when I was only five, so he's been considered as a nobody in my life. Just like Ethan, from now on.

"Mornin' Mom" I greeted her, opening the fridge and pouring myself a glass of orange juice.

"Good morning, Sweetheart. What will you have for breakfast?" She asked.

"I don't feel like it, I'll just grab a granola bar..."

"You know, breakfast is the mos-"

"Most important meal of the day. Yes, I know, but I really don't want to." I cut her off.

"Well then... Are you excited?" She smiled.

"Mom, it's high school, of course not. Emma's not gonna be here, and then I might see Ethan in the halls, and then I might have a class with him and I have absolutely no other friends so I'll be alone all year. Alone for homecoming, and prom-it's gonna be an AWFUL year. I can feel it." I complained as I took a seat.

My Mom let out a sigh, "It'll be alright. You'll meet someone new. You're sociable.. sometimes. It's also your last year." She let out a laugh. "Now, we both should get going, your bus will be here soon and I can't be late."

She kissed my forehead and walked out. I stayed in the kitchen for 5 more minutes until I decided to finally grab my bag and get out the door.

-

The bus ride was boring. Same old annoying kids in the back, quiet kids in the front. When we arrived, I took in a deep breath and walked through the doors and tried to find my locker. Every year we get a new locker, which are set up in alphabetical order. It took a while, but eventually, I found mine.

"Locker 402...there you are..." I muttered under my breath. When I got it opened, I used my fingertips to get rid of some of the dust. Gross, I know.

Once my bag was in and I had all my folders and books with me in my arms, I slammed my locker shut. As I whipped around and took a step, I bumped into someone who was walking by right behind me, dropping the books in my hands.