Chapter 4 : The New Kid

It's now Friday afternoon and the party was only a couple hours away. It was lunch time and Zach was eating inside the cafeteria with Jack and his other friends, Daniel and Corbyn. I was out in the courtyard, sitting at the same picnic table as always, the one under the old oak tree. I was eating my lame PB&J sandwich and secretly texting Emma at the same time.

Girl, I'm coming over right when school ends just so I can help you get ready. I'm also gonna spend the night at your place.

Yesss thank you

Np, you need it 😉

Shut up 😑

Hahahaha gtg, teacher coming my way

At the same moment, I saw a lunch tray plop down onto the picnic table from the corner of my eye. I jerked my head up to see a stranger standing in front of me, with eyes that were a piercing light green blue color. His hair was a cocoa brown, a bit messy towards the front. He was wearing a black tee shirt underneath a denim jacket along with black ripped jeans. I continued to stare, really confused.

He sent me a halfhearted smile and said, "Mind if I sit here?"

"Wha- uh..yes- I mean, no not at all.." I stammered.

He sat down right across from me and stretched his hand out. "I'm Jonah."

"Skylar.." I shook his hand, feeling very confused. I couldn't figure out if he was new or just an ordinary student that I've walked past in the halls many times like everyone else. "I'm sorry.. but are you new here?" I blurted out.

His grinned. "Yep. Nice to meet ya."

"Same here." I smiled. So he was a new student. I felt my phone vibrate from the back pocket of my jeans. I took it out to see a text from Emma saying that she was now at lunch and wanted me to text her back.

You were texting me less than 5 minutes ago COME BACK.

EMMMAA THERE'S A CUTE GUY SITTING IN FRONT OF ME.

THEN STOP TEXTING ME AND SOCIALIZE WITH HIM IDIOT. 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️

Whoops.. byee!

I looked up from my screen to see Jonah staring straight at me, his expression hard to read.

"I'm not trying to be rude, but it's sorta rude to stare." I remarked.

"It's not my fault that I'm enjoying the view." A crooked smirk slowly stretched across his face.

My eyes widened, and my cheeks felt a bit red as tried to take in what he had just said. "I'm sorry, what?" I raised my eyebrows.

"You heard me." Jonah chuckled, winking. I sat there in shock for a second then shook my head and ignored him, giving my attention back to my phone.

"Will you be at the party tonight?" He asked me. I looked up and met his gaze.

"You know about that already?" I answered him with another question. He simply nodded. Jonah mentioning the party reminded me of Zach, the only why I'm going to the dumb party anyways. "Well, yeah, I'm going."

"Then I guess I'll be seeing you again." Before I could respond, he looked at me with a smile and stood up from the bench. "See ya later." He winked one last time and I watched him walk off.

Pfffttt... seems like a jerk.

All I knew at this point was that the party tonight was definitely going to be something interesting.

-

"EEEKK!" Emma squealed as she did my makeup. "Tell me all about him. His name, his hair, his eyes, personality.."

"Jonah, brown hair, nice eyes, and he's just something." I answered with my eyes closed as Emma was blending my eyeshadow.

She stopped and I opened my eyes. "Something? What do you mean?"

"I don't know. I thought that he only sat with me because there was no spot for him inside but soon after introducing ourselves, he got... creepy- no, i think he was flirting .. those are the guys that the main character of a book is supposed to stay away from."

"But instead they end up falling for them." Emma grinned. I threw a pillow at her. "Ugh I wanna meet this Jonah guy."

"But you have Jack." I said, wiggling my eyebrows.

"Ugh, let that go please."

"You two were blushing so hard that day. Zach noticed it too." I laughed. She picked up the same pillow that I threw at her and was about to throw it back at me until I stopped her. "You're gonna ruin the makeup!"

"Ugh, why are you right." She dropped the pillow and continued to do my makeup and hair. Once my face was ready, I changed into the peachy-toned dress we bought the other day at the mall.

"Isn't this too-" I asked concerned.

"You look fine." Emma reassured me, resting her hand on my shoulder. A few moments later my phone ringed and a text notification popped up on my lock screen. I picked it up to see that it was from Zach.

How are you gonna get to the party?

Idk, I'll ask Emma to drop me off most likely.

Then lemme pick you up.

No, it's fine, I mean it.

Send me your address.

Zach, you really don't have to.

Sucks for you, because I'll do it either way.

Fineee I'll send you my address.

I knew that you'd finally give in 😉. I'm always right.

"Zach's picking me up." I informed Emma.

"Ok, stay safe child. Make sure you don't do anything that you'll regret and if you do, make sure you use protection." She replied with a devilish grin. I threw the pillow at her once again.

I stared at her with narrowed eyes. "I hate you." I groaned.

She laughed. "Love you too." About five minutes later we heard a knock at the door. Emma jerked her head up from her phone screen and shook my shoulder. "He's here, he's here! Get up! Get up!"

"Ok, ok. Sheesh, you're more excited than I am." I rolled my eyes. When I made it to the front door and opened it all the way, I saw Zach standing there in a black long sleeve shirt with a wide smile across his face. His eyes went wide. I stood there, waiting for him to say something. "You make me go to this party, you make me get all dressed up, and now you're just standing there. Are we gonna leave or not?" I beamed.

"You look really nice." He blushed.

"Uh..thanks." I looked down, fiddling with my thumbs.

"But um, yeah, let's go." He reached out his hand and held mine as he walked me to his car. He opened the door for me like a true gentleman and I stepped in. "Ready?" He asked, buckling in his seatbelt.

"I think so." I answered with a laugh. Zach started the car and soon enough, we were on our way.

"If something happens I can always drop you back home." He spoke up after a few minutes.

I faced him, confused. "Why would anything happen?"

He shrugged. "You told me that you and Madison didn't like each other and I'm kinda making you come with me so I should at least be there for you if you wanna go home." He flashed a smile. I smiled back, appreciative of his concern.

"Everything will be fine, I hope." I said, taking in a deep breath as Zach stopped the car right in front of Madison's house.

~
Author: JONAH HAS ARRIVED. Btw, this whole story is inspired by this dream I had about Zach lol. Anyways, the next chapter will be about the partyyyy byeee ♡ ~manha