'Really, is that so?' Helen demanded, and she sounded almost gleeful about that piece of information. She then burst out laughing. 'Get us what we want from you, mum_ we want no disappointments. But it seems as if you can't handle the affair well, so I thought it better to take over from you. I called daddy.'

'You what?' Adamma exclaimed, her brows furrowed in shock. 'Tell me what you did!'

'I did nothing much, dear mother. I just had a little conversation with him to see how he was doing and whether he was missing our absence at home. He said that he was.'

Adamma blinked, and she felt the tears rushing up to her eyes to cloud her vision. At that moment, there was a crash of thunder in the sky, and the sky turned from the blinding blue it had been a few moments ago to a dark grey color that threatened a downpour. She groaned as the thunder crashed down again, knowing that there was no way she could drive to the appointment she had with her facial cosmetologist who she had to work with for her skin so she could look her optimum best during the video shoot for her new solo. She hated the Lagos weather more than she hated the weather in any other part of Nigeria she'd been to; it could start raining even without a moment's notice. And then the rain started to pour down just like she'd inwardly feared it would, and she let out a groan of annoyance.

'Honey, I have to go now because I'm about to get caught up in the rain,' she told her daughter hurriedly as she tried to pry the door of the car open with her hand which was now wet with the rain. 'I love you, dear, and I'll be home soon.' She disconnected the call, and by then, the rain was now pouring down in torrents.

She had just pried the door open and was about to dash into the car for the relative safety of the enclosure so that she wouldn't be soaked to the skin and stand the chances of catching a cold when she heard her name being shouted loudly over the din the pounding rain was making. It's just a crazy fan who should be seeking for shelter, she thought, and her right leg went into the car. Then something stopped her short. There was something about that loud, yelling voice which rang like bells in her heart; it was a voice she'd know and recognize anywhere. But why was he after her?

She threw her sleek Blackberry into the passenger seat and then turned away from the car. The wind and the pelting rain was billowing around her, slapping against her skin through the thin covering of her couture, and the visibility had greatly reduced, so that she seemed to be seeing through a thick grey veil of water and the street trash that was being whipped to a frenzy by the rain.

She could see the tall, trim figure of her husband running towards her, a look of great determination on his face, his clothes plastered to his skin as he raced through the rain towards her. She straightened up fully, and she could feel the wind tearing into her hair, the rain running into the black tresses she'd fully oiled that morning; her clothes had become plastered to her skin, becoming more of a second skin than a covering for her body.

So much for my appointment today, she thought in dismay.

Their eyes met and held, and then the whole world seemed to stand still; there was no rain anymore, no wind, and no street that separated them from each other. She seemed to be seeing him through a mist, and she could vaguely see that his lips were moving, that he was saying something to her though his voice was drowned out by the roar of the wind and the rain. Her hair was so plastered into her face she was almost unable to see him clearly.

The street stood between them because she'd parked her car outside the office complex which Obinna owned, and there were a few cars sweeping through the road as they raced to their respective directions from the busy road. But still, husband and wife had each other in their sights.

That was when it happened.               

WHEN ADAMMA LEFT HIS OFFICE, Obinna had settled himself into the swivel chair behind his opulent desk and stared off into space. He had the feeling that somehow something bad had happened to him, and the exit of the beautiful woman from his office heralded the beginning of some dark phase in his life. During his youth there had been a lot of women who had been there for his taking, and the fun had been endless. However, from the moment he'd met Adamma the whore, the moment those eyes of hers had locked on to his face in a wordless challenge, something had changed.