Chapter Nineteen

Adamma sat down behind the steering wheel of her car and slipped out her phone from her bag. She looked at the screen and saw that she had twenty missed calls; seven were from her dance instructor; three were from Isabella who was also one of the backup dancers she intended to use in her upcoming video; five were from her twin babies, and the other five were from Amanda. She smiled and returned the call to her best friend.

'Adamma, where have you been?' the woman demanded even before the phone had the chance to ring. 'I have been calling you and you chose not to answer. Please do not tell me that you went to see your husband like you'd said you would. Please, Ada!'

Adamma sighed. 'I already did, my dear. He's signed the papers and one set is with me. I left the other set for him to do what he wished with them.'

Amanda let out a moan. 'You've just ruined the entire thing. What if he takes them to the lawyer?'

Adamma laughed with a confidence that set her lips curling in a smile of amusement. 'He won't. He still has them, and he's going to keep them. So will I.'

'Are you sure you want to do this? I remember when you'd wanted to marry him I'd asked you whether you wanted to do it and you'd laughed it off like a fool and then gone on ahead to marry him. You wept for him, Ada, because of all that had happened to you_'

'But now I'm leaving him because he's not worth the worries,' Adamma cut in. 'Relax, dear; I know what I'm doing.'

'You don't know what you're doing. You left him_ how long ago was that? Nine months ago? One year ago? Or is it two years ago? _and yet you still have feelings for him like some love-struck teenager. The feelings between the two of you is too strong, nothing can come between you two, not even your individual foolishness and stupidity. I've seen the way you two act around each other, and please do not tell me that you're doing it in order to keep up the public good will because it won't work with me, ok? Those feelings are real.'

'The sex is real, and that's right about it,' Adamma said coldly, her left fist hitting against the dashboard in her anger. 'Do not tell me what's real and what's not real in my life. It is my life, not yours, so butt off. Was that all you wanted to talk to me about?' Angry now, she stepped out of the car and then shoved her Prada glasses up into her face to shield her eyes from the glare of the sun.

Amanda sighed. 'I wanted to tell you that you are making a huge mistake if you think you're in your right senses with regard to this issue. You are dead wrong.'

'I wish I was, but I'm not. I have my plans, and believe me when I tell you that I have my plans. Trust me on this, darling; I will triumph over him. You can bet your life on that.' And then she disconnected the call and called the number she'd given to the twins to use whenever they wanted to reach her for anything they deemed important enough to disturb her without waiting for her to return home at the end of the day before they told her whatever the problem was. Helen picked up on the third ring, and it was obvious she had her brother with her there.

'Mum, we have to talk to you about you and daddy,' the girl said in her clear, nasal voice which sounded much like the voice of an adult than the voice of a pre-puberty girl who was still waiting for her time to arise so she could shine. But Helen was an extremely intelligent girl, very inflective, with the resourceful nature of an adult who was always on a mission. 'Your charade with him has gone on for more than long enough. We know you still meet him, so what's the plan?'

'I'm working on it, my love,' Adamma assured the girl, though she knew that her voice lacked any conviction; her daughter could see through any deception faster than a dog can smell a bone. And she really was working on their irresponsible father; they just had to give her more time to let everything fall into place. 'I was just coming from his office right now, and I think the man is breaking down.'