Chapter Ten

The esteemed Hilton club was a club that had exclusive membership, and so, catered exclusively to the needs of the rich and mighty. It was nestled within the very heart of the VGC Estate, and so the less affluent residents of the Lagos Mainland knew better than to dare step onto the posh hallowed grounds of the club.

It had a glittering swimming pool that the members could enjoy, and parasols with tables and chairs under them; there were four tennis courts where even the governor himself played tennis on weekends; there were flowerbeds that were tended to by Asian gardeners_ they were a blaze of colors; the car park was superb, and expensive cars lined it. The club itself, soaring three stories high, was a modern architectural masterpiece that was equipped with well-stocked bars, a restaurant, and a relaxation lounge that was off-limits to non-members of the club. It had glass doors and French windows all around it, giving it a panoramic view in all directions.

When Obi drove into the grounds of the club, he looked round as he climbed out of his car, his eyes spotting his wife's white Mercedes parked between a low-slung Bentley and a glittering black Porsche. Nodding with satisfaction to himself, he turned and walked briskly towards the doors of the club, and then he stepped into the lobby, walking past some distinguished-looking couples. He walked into the restaurant, and then he saw her.

There she was, seated at a corner table, sipping a cup of tea, her eyes glued to the manuscript she was clutching in her left hand. He had to pause and admire her for a moment, and he had to admit to himself that she was really beautiful. She wore a sky-blue gown that was fashionably tailored without looking provocative; her dark hair had been left free to flow down her shoulders, strands of hair brushing against her breasts; her makeup was very mild, and circled around her throat like a blue ribbon, was a necklace that matched the color of her dress perfectly. Her face had a morning freshness quality that totally captivated him. Even now, after several months of marriage to her, he still hadn't really gotten used to her exceptional beauty, and he had to lower his face to avoid looking at her as he approached her table.

She looked up, and her luminous eyes became fixed on him with a blank, nevertheless cold expression. 'Why, I am not surprised to see you here,' she said, and she leaned back in her chair to look him squarely in his face. She sighed and then waved him into the chair opposite her almost as if she was resigned to having to suffer the displeasure of his company. 'And please let's be quick about this. What do you want from me?'

Obi's lips curved into a contemptuous smile as the beautiful woman crossed one leg over the other, revealing one long shapely leg to his view. 'Your gown is straight up, my dear,' he told her. 'Don't tell me you're feeling so horny here that you now want to perform a striptease. It won't be appreciated by the conservative patrons.'

Adamma flushed with embarrassment and quickly uncrossed her legs and discreetly shifting them away from his prying eyes. The bloody fool! Did he always have to be so confrontational, seeking to incite her annoyance and fury every time they were within a mile radius of each other? She wondered how they'd been able to sleep together in the same room and the same bed for over a year without killing each other, though she wryly admitted to herself that they did not always sleep in the same bed_ whenever he incited her to anger, she'd simply lock the door to their room and make him sleep on the couch in the private living room of their suite or to go to the other numerous rooms in the house and make himself comfortable. As she saw the gleam of mischief in his eyes, she knew he'd come prepared to unload whatever torture he had in his arsenal on her. And she was ready for him; she'd steeled herself for their encounter because she knew he would definitely seek her out. How right she was about that.

'What do you want from me?' she asked, looking at him blankly and smiling in amusement when he looked down once again. She was no fool; she knew the electric effect her eyes had on him, so she was ready to use it to her advantage.