Chapter 9

Heya, readers! Sorry this has been a bit of a slow burner, with no actual Smoleman since Jenna's with Richard. I just wanted to set the scene and really explore Matt's unrequited love (because I've experienced it and I find it interesting and weirdly relieving to write about). More Smoleman fluff and feels are gonna kick in now, I promise! Thanks guys, you're awesome for sticking around!

Also, happy birthday to the lovely Miss Coleman herself - can't believe she's 32!

***

Matt finished packing up after his long day of shooting. He was physically exhausted from all the running around, but he felt like he'd been on top form that day, so he was in a good mood.

Before he headed off home, he went to say goodbye to Jenna. This was always a ritual of his. Go back to his own trailer, tidy himself up a little bit, pack stuff away, drop in on Jenna and then drive home. He didn't have any plans that evening, but sometimes, just sprawling out on the sofa and binge-watching Netflix was just as valid a plan as going out.

As he approached the trailer, he could hear music coming from inside. It must've been quite loud for him to hear it, given that none of the windows were open. He decided that Jenna wouldn't hear his knocking, so he headed in. And what a surprise he had.

Jenna was dancing around like a looney to 'Chelsea Dagger', eyes closed and mouthing the lyrics. She was wearing a red slip-on dress that flowed out as she twirled on the spot. She was so into the song, totally lost in the wonderful world that was the inside of her head.

The music died down and the iPod shuffled to another song the album. Jenna opened her eyes, and gasped in horror at what she saw. Matt was leaning against the doorway with a huge smirk on his face.

"How long have you been standing there?" she almost turned the same shade as her dress.

"Long enough to be able to tease you for the next month," he grinned as she face-palmed.

"I'm so embarrassed!"

"You shouldn't be. Your choice in music is usually awful-"

"Hey!" she cut across indignantly.

"But I like The Fratellis," Matt finished with a smile.

"Who doesn't?" she reciprocated the smile as her face returned to its normal complexion. "I play the CD all the time back at the apartment with Richard."

"Oh yeah?" Matt kept his tone calm, despite having tensed up at the mention of his name.

"Yeah, but the meanie won't dance with me because he's always fed up after dancing on the set of Cinderella," she was still smiling, but her expression seemed to have changed. She looked almost wistful. But then she glanced up with her hand held out. "How about you then, Matt? You're not too tired to dance?"

Matt instantly perked up at the prospect. However, something stopped him from reaching out and grabbing Jenna's hand. Was this right? Dancing with another man's girlfriend just because he wouldn't? No, of course it was.

Stop making a big deal out of it, he chided himself as he looked at Jenna's expectant expression. We've danced together loads of times before, as friends. And she's asking you now as a friend. Get a grip, Matt.

He quite literally took a grip of Jenna's hand, then grinned at her. 'Whistle for the Choir' was just as cheerful as the previous song, but considerably slower. The dancing was less energetic, but the two had a right laugh. Their bodies swayed back and forth to the beat of the drums while the guitar strummed along. Jenna was just as into this song as the last, so she started singing along softly, like a harmony to the actual vocals.