Chapter 63: The Rehearsal

Start from the beginning

"What the fuck you guys? Are you still together? Does Kane know he's alive?  Does dad?"

"How could you do it?"  Jax picks up the jacket.  "You murdered my baby sister.  You said you loved her..."

"What the hell are you talking about?"  Felix stands there confused.  His face scrunches as he looks between Jax and I.  "I would never hurt Court.  Why would you even think that?"

"You tried to kill me! What did I do to you?  And my daughter?  A six year old, what did Zooey do to you?!"  Jax's anger is increasing. 

"I don't know what you're talking about!" Felix is shaking his head.  "I wouldn't hurt Zo, or you.  Fuck Jax, I didn't know you were even alive!"

Jax tosses the jacket to him.  "The pocket is missing.  That's because Courtney tore it off her murderer. The only piece of evidence they actually found."

I can't stomach this.  He's my brother.  I can't even watch what is unfolding before my eyes.  Felix killed my best friend.  I feel as though I'm on the verge of being physically sick.

Felix looks at the jacket confused and then lifts his eyes to me.  "This isn't mine?"

"The fuck it isn't.  Varsity football and in your closet!" Jax yells.  His face is red, veins are appearing in his neck and forehead.  He's losing his temper quickly. 

"Oh my god."  Felix's eyes fill with tears.  He turns around and swings open the closet door to begin digging through boxes along the top.  He pulls down a small plastic black box and tosses it to me.  I open the box and pull out his senior pictures. 

"What am I supposed to do with these?"  I begin sorting through them.   They are familiar, mom has most of them hanging up on the wall with mine and Sydney's.  Then I see what he wants me to see.  I look back up to him.  "Yellow?"

"My jacket was yellow and it is currently hanging in my closet at my apartment with both yellow pockets still attached.  They alternate colors each year. That is not my jacket."

"Whose is it?!" Jax demands.

Felix looks to me with eyes filled with tears. No words needed, I know who's jacket it is and so does he.  One other person occupies this room. "Oh my god" I put my hand to my mouth.  "No... no, no, no..."

"WHOSE IS IT?!" Jax yells.

Only two words fall from my lips before I begin to vomit.

"It's Kane's." 

<><><>

My entire body is shaking so hard it's painful as Jax speeds our way to the rehearsal dinner. He's got my car going well over 100mph. The rehearsal dinner is being held in the basement of a restaurant twenty miles outside of town.

The jacket belongs to Kane. My Kane. The Kane I've been in love with since I was a little girl. The Kane I've been sleeping with for two years. The man I trusted with me and my daughter. The Kane I was supposed to marry tomorrow.

I haven't seen Kane wear the jacket in years, likely since the night of Courtney's party. He always wore it to Luxberg games or in this case, a Luxberg High graduation party. But do I remember seeing him wear it at the hospital later that night? I don't remember. I was so traumatized by seeing Courtney and almost losing Jax that I wasn't paying attention to what people were or were not wearing. I know that jacket wasn't in Minnesota with him. He's been emptying his childhood bedroom, that's where it came from.

What was his motive? It makes no sense. He was her boss and that was really the only time I had seen them together. The only other connection was that he was Tyler's brother and he had a sticker in the book. Even I had a sticker though.