Chapter 56 (Another chance?)

Start from the beginning

"I know Munira. In am physically and emotinally drained,so good sleep is the last thing on my mind besides i haven't had a good one in a long time".

She finished plopping down on the cushion chair briefly closing her tired eyes.

"Here, have some".
Munira passed her a cup of coffee as she eagerly took it from her taking in in large gulps feeling the hot liquid warming her dry throat.

"Thanks Munni. I needed this coffee".

"I know. How is Malik? Any improvement? ".

Zain shook her head as a sign of No.
"It's just like everyday Munni,he's still not up and under intensive care. At this stage i am not certain if he will make it alive".

"Don't loose hope in him that fast Zain,he will be up Allah's willing. Stay strong".

"I am tired of pretending to be strong when i am not. I am breaking right now,it's hard holding on".
Zain finished in a shaky voice wiping the tears she had been withholding.

"You'll be okay Zain... Malik will be okay,you both will be okay".

"Thank you for always been there Munni."

"Anytime Zain. I'm always there for you".

Zain walked back to her office and concentrated on her work to keep her mind off things. The chiming of her phone brought her attention back from the pile of work in front of her.
Seeing the caller,she quickly pressed on the answer key.

"Hello Maama".

What her mother told her from the other side made her quickly jolt up from where she was sitting.  Grabbing her bag and keys with shaky hands and stuffing her phone inside,she walked in haste  almost tumbling on her own feet.

She was driving at full speed but it seemed to be the longest drive of her life,her heart was beating frantically like a sledgehammer  in her chest. Pulling up in the driveway,she sprinted to the hospital entrance merely catching her breath almost forgetting to lock down the car.

"Zain come on,he's been asking about you and can't seem to stop ".

Malik's sister said catching up to her at the reception.

"Is he okay? When did he wake up?  Am i allowed to see him? Oh did he eat something? "
Zain asked all at once feeling a surge of happiness and relief wash over her.

"You'll see for yourself. He has been transferred to the amenity because he's responding positively to treatment . I am so glad you're here sis".

She beamed at Zain tugging her hand as they began to make their way to the room.

The room was full of happy chatter from family and friends. For some odd reason, she felt a sudden rush of adrenalin,she couldn't spot him nor hear his voice for he was surrounded by many of his close friends.

"Zain... he made it. I am so happy".

She heard the familiar voice from behind her making her whip her head back swiftly.

"Aaliyah,  Munni you guys came".

She threw her arms hugging them both.

"Yeah how could we not? When i saw you leave in a rush i had to drive to your home to make sure you were okay but Aaliyah mentioned that she was coming to the hospital so i had to follow too".

Munira finished with a roll of her eyes making Aaliyah laugh.

"Zain go,go see him. There are less people now"
Aaliyah said gently pushing her further inside the room.