Chapter 63.1

When Xu Xu woke up, she saw a small yellow lamp above her head, and an unfamiliar, grey ceiling.

Ji Bai was sleeping in a chair by her bedside without having changed his clothes. Outside the window, the night was dark and gloomy. Under the light, his face was especially handsome and quiet.

In the wee hours of morning, it was extremely cold. Xu Xu's throat was a little dry, and she could not help coughing, trying to muffle the sound with the blanket. Ji Bai immediately opened his eyes and got up, his big hands caressing her icy, small face, "You're awake?" He poured her a glass of water, while saying, "It's nothing serious, your blood sugar is on the low side, and you were given an IV (intravenous drip). This is the village health centre. Rest here tonight, and we'll go back to Lin City tomorrow."

"Ok." Xu Xu sat up, and took the glass of water. She felt so much better after drinking the warm water.

Ji Bai pulled his chair even closer, his dark eyes staring at her. He was unable to hold back a faint smile, "Getting angry to this extent . . ."

Xu Xu was silent for a moment, before replying, "You're not angry?"

Ji Bai caught up her hands and brought them to his lips for a kiss. Her skin, originally pale and delicate, bore needle marks after the IV drip, and had taken on a slightly green cast. Ji Bai held her hands in his without speaking.

Angry. Of course he was angry. Clearly, there were two murderers, but today, given the irrefutable evidence, as solid as a mountain, that there was only one killer. This was both really depressing and extremely infuriating, so much so that he found it difficult to calm down.

But, precisely because of this, he could not give way to his inner turmoil. As a criminal investigator, he needed to have a seemingly cold-blooded tenacity.

Thus, he looked at her, and smiled faintly, "I won't hurt myself by getting angry. When have cases ever been easy to solve?"

Xu Xu nodded. How could she not understand this? She was mentally more robust than most people, but, having seen Yao Meng become the victim of a crime with her own eyes, she found herself unable to dismiss the experience from her mind.

After a period of sleep, she felt less burdened. The sky outside was becoming lighter, and she got up. "I'm going to wash my face."

Ji Bai pressed her back onto the bed, "I'll bring you water. You had better stay still."

Xu Xu watched him as he walked to the side of the window. He picked up the thermos flask on the floor, and poured the water into a basin. His figure was tall and grave, and his movements were agile and vigorous. Watching him gave her a sense of peace and security.

Xu Xu stared at his back, and asked, "What's your opinion?"

Ji Bai knew that if they did not discuss the issue without ambiguity, she would definitely keep thinking about it. He handed her the water, and replied, "There are three areas of doubt.

First, the chosen victims were all different. The first victim was a white-collar worker. The second, although a recent graduate, was already a trainee at an organisation, which is in line with your description of the victims. However, the third victim was only an ordinary university student, with nothing special about her.

Second, the methodology in each case is different. The first two were obviously carefully planned. No one knows to this day how the victims disappeared, so we were previously unable to trace the killer. However, with the third case, the victim was only killed after she entered the forest region for her hiking trip. Moreover, Tan Liang abandoned her body in the forest. This enabled us to determine – the third case took place entirely in the forest region, and the killer was in the forest region, which led us to capture Tan Liang.