Chapter 48.2

That evening's feast was held at a restaurant near the police station. Apart from the detectives, there were people from the administrative departments with strong ties to Ji Bai. They were all his good buddies and surrounded Ji Bai and Xu Xu. Everyone was talking animatedly about the Myanmar case.

Zhao Han, seated on the outside, was ordering the drinks. Suddenly, he thought about Xu Xu and asked: "What does sister-in-law drink?"

Xu Xu didn't realise he was talking about her, and thus didn't reply. She heard Ji Bai, at her side, saying: "She drinks fruit juice."

Xu Xu was startled at this, and had to collect herself. The others did not have any reaction, so it seemed as if she had already officially been given this title.

Although Xu Xu's cheeks were slightly hot, she maintained an indifferent appearance, and continued to listen to the conversation.

When the wine arrived, the atmosphere became really heated up. The detectives became more rowdy and clamoured to propose toasts to Ji Bai and Xu Xu. Ji Bai held up his hand to stop them, and moved all the wine cups they had placed before Xu Xu to in front of him: "She doesn't drink (wine)."

Thus, everyone seized the opportunity to attack Ji Bai.

As the saying goes, you can tell a person's character by their drinking habits. Ji Bai would not drink to excess, and neither could he be forced to drink too much. However, he would down what he was obliged to drink without missing a single cup. Before long, with his slightly flushed face, and his hand resting on the back of Xu Xu's chair, he gave the appearance of one who was at ease and satisfied with the world, while his dark pupils increasingly shone with a penetrating light.

Xu Xu was calmly eating, when someone asked: "Sister-in-law, shouldn't you be concerned about Chief Ji? Look at how many cups he's drank! It's outrageous!"

The minute the words were spoken, everyone focused on them. Ji Bai also narrowed his eyes, inclining his head towards her with a faint smile on his face.  

Xu Xu glanced at him, and shook her head: "I don't need to concern myself about him."

Her reasoning was that Ji Bai knew when to advance and when to retreat, and his self-control was very strong. This type of personality would generally not drink to excess.

However, when everyone heard her, they were first startled, then laughed uproariously. Some even signed in mock envy: "Sister-in-law, you are blatantly allowing him to run amok! Chief Ji, you indeed really have good fortune!"

Surrounded by the banter and easy laughter of the crowd, Ji Bai looked at her smilingly.

He knew what she was thinking. Between the two of them, there was no need for this type of unnecessary mutual restraint**.

superfluous mutual restraint (this is the direct translation of the words, I am not sure what is meant.think it means there's no need to control each other's actions-both are aware of their limits No need for flattery?).

However, Xu Xu's straightforward answer had unexpectedly fruitful results**.

无心插柳柳成阴 – idiom that means 'poke a stick in the mud and it grows into a tree to shade you' i.e. 'unintentional actions may bring unexpected success'). To the outsider, it was as if she was giving face to her man/ bolstering her man's reputation.

Beautiful in both appearance and character – they were right, being her man was certainly good fortune.
 ——
Although Ji Bai had managed to help Xu Xu avoid drinking at the dinner, the department head was also hosting some out-of-town colleagues from the special investigations unit at the same restaurant. Soon, Sun Ting brought two detectives over to drink with them.

Sun Ting was especially elated when he saw Ji Bai and Xu Xu: "Who would have thought that, on our trip to Myanmar, we would not only catch the criminals, but create the happy fate that brings two detectives together! Come, let me pay my respects to you!"

Ji Bai was just about to pick up Xu Xu's cup of wine, but Sun Ting lifted his hand to stop him: "Aish! You are a detective. Even if you are female, can't you drink this? Ji Bai, you step aside."

Ji Bai glanced at Xu Xu, and quietly exhorted her: "Just drink whatever you can." This caused the onlookers to burst out in a chorus of hooting.  

Xu Xu nodded, and drank the wine without fuss.