Chapter 4 - Midnight Visitor

Start from the beginning

Colette didn't answer me for a minute. I heard her sigh and shift in the bed. "I don't know. Maybe."

"Could he try and get the Ministry to make you go back?"

"I don't see why he would. But I guess so." She paused again, and for a moment I thought she'd fallen asleep. "Honestly, Astra, I think he's going to be happy more than anything. He doesn't have to worry about me holding him back in his career or anything, associating with horrible people like you. Now he can just tell people I'm a disappointing, ungrateful runaway who cut him out of my life for no reason."

"Oh, I'm sorry," I said softly.

"Don't be. I don't care." Her voice had grown hard. "Goodnight."

We both fell silent at that. I listened for her breathing to grow steady, proof that she'd fallen asleep, but it didn't happen. I tried to picture what was going on in her mind, but it was a bit hard. Colette was the most impossible person to read. After four years, I still couldn't tell if she really was as unaffected as she said, or if she was just good at hiding it. I made a mental note to ask Wren what she thought, since Wren tended to be a lot more perceptive than me, then I remembered Wren hadn't talked to me since school had gotten out.

Oh, it's her birthday, I thought suddenly. Maybe, tomorrow, I could convince Aunt Andromeda to let Colette and me go visit the Potters. After all, it might be a good distraction for Colette. It would at least give me a chance to talk to Wren.

~~~~

Someone banging on my door woke me up the next morning. I groaned, ignoring it. It was way too early for this.

"Get up!" came Teddy's voice. I heard the door open, and Colette asking where the fire was.

"No fire, just something I think both you would probably want to do."

I heard footsteps walking toward my bed, and pulled my pillow over my head. "Go away."

"Astra, I'm not kidding," Teddy said, trying to pry my pillow away. "It's Wren."

I sat straight up, my heart suddenly pounding. "What happened?"

"She's safe," Teddy assured me quickly. "They finally contacted her last night."

I closed my eyes, breathing out a sigh of relief. "They believed her?"

"Apparently." Teddy poked me. "Anyway, you two have about fifteen minutes until you can Floo over there." I think I was ready to go in five.

Aunt Andromeda insisted both Colette and I eat something before we left. This was in spite of Colette admitting she really didn't eat breakfast often (Aunt Andromeda was shocked, almost offended) and me claiming I was anything but hungry. She finally forced each of us to down a piece of toast, then we were off.

The only person in the kitchen when we Flooed in was Albus. He hopped up, grinning. "Dad said you'd be coming too, Colette! It's great to see you! I can't believe your dad actually let you spend the night with Astra."

Colette frowned. "Is... Is that what Mr. Potter told you?"

Albus faltered. "No, I just assumed... He... He said you were over there..."

Colette glanced at me, and I just put my hands up. She could say whatever she felt like. "Um... Al, last night... My dad kicked me out of our flat."

Albus's mouth dropped open. "Oh, I'm so sorry. That's horrible." She shrugged and mumbled something noncommittal.

I started towards the door. "Where's Wren?"

"Asleep, I think," Albus said. "We didn't go to bed till around three last night, and it's only eight. She was exhausted when she came home."