"Thank you for staying with us, Mr....." the hotel clerks voice trailed off as Mr. Adam's disappeared out the door. The clerk muttered something under his breath about outlaws and their rudeness before turning to Audrey and granting her a beaming smile. "What can I do for you, miss?" 

Audrey tipped her head. "I was wondering if you've seen the man I arrived with? He's a few inches taller than me, brown hair, mustache and wears a U.S. Marshall badge on his vest." 

"No, I haven't seen him since he left after checking you both in," the clerk replied apologetically. "Would you like to leave him a message and I'll see he gets it when he arrives back?" 

Audrey shook her head. "No, that won't be necessary. I'll just go see if I can find him myself. Thank you." 

Audrey stepped out into the sun and glanced up and down the bustling streets of Briggston. She knew she stood no chance of located Rodger unless she simply bumped into him by happenstance and she wasn't willing to wait on him any longer. She would simply have to go back to the sheriff's office and talk to the man herself. 

Minutes later, Audrey found herself standing in front of the jail. She stepped up onto the boardwalk, smoothed out her plaid skirt and knocked twice. The door was pulled open by a middle-aged man in trail stained clothes and a dusty face. His smile was friendly, however, and his brown eyes warm as he greeted her. Audrey recognized the sherrif's badge on his chest and she held out her hand. 

"My name is Audrey Reynolds," she greeted him. "I stopped by earlier with my traveling companion but you were out of the office." 

"Yes, I apologize," he lamented as he stepped aside and allowed her into the building. "I was taking care of some business. What can I do for you, ma'am?" 

Audrey took a deep breath to steady herself and hold back the tears that threatened to fall whenever she spoke of her daughter. "I'm looking for someone, sir. My daughter. She is only eight years old and she's been taken from me...." 

"Taken?" the sheriff demanded as he stood a bit straighter. "Do you know who took her? How long ago was this?" 

"It's been about a month now, I suppose. I've been searching all over the territory for any sign of her. U.S. Marshall York is my traveling companion and he's been aiding me in the search. The only lead we have found so far is the name of a man who specializes in making young girls, and anything else he chooses, disappear." 

The sheriff's friendly brown eyes became a little harder. "What is this man's name?" 

"Barnaby Wallace," Audrey replied. 

"I've definitely heard of him, ma'am, and I'm sad to say I haven't seen him. He doesn't come around my town because he knows I'd take him down in a heartbeat." 

Audrey felt failure and despair settling in. She chewed at her trembling bottom lip and was going to excuse herself when the sheriff grabbed her forearm gently to stop her. "Ma'am, perhaps you can tell me what your daughter looks like? Maybe it wasn't Barnaby that got her and I could keep an eye out for her." 

Audrey nodded. Of course that would be the logical thing to do! Her mind no longer seemed to function properly. It was too full of worry. "She's eight, as I said. She stands to about here--" Audrey indicated her chest. "--She has blond hair the same shade as mine and her eyes are like mine as well. Her face is littered with freckles, she's always smiling and inquisitive and... She was struck with polio has a young child and it damaged her left leg. She can't walk at all without a metal brace and she limps even with it....." 

Audrey stopped speaking as recognition dawned in the lawman's eyes. "What is your daughter's name?" he asked quietly. 

"Penelope. Penelope Reynolds. Oh, please tell me you know where she is!" Audrey gasped as she clutched at his hand. "I've been searching everywhere! Please tell me I've found my daughter!"