Chapter Twenty-Three

Ethan's POV

When I got home from school, Grayson and I sat down at the kitchen table. He was being quiet and was very into his phone. Interesting. 

"Hey Gray." I said trying to get his attention. 

He ignored me or just didn't hear me. 

"Gray." I said again. No response. Damn, does he need hearing aids? 

"Gray, Emily's here." I lied. 

"What?!" He said looking up from his phone. 

I couldn't help but laugh at his stupidity. He gave me a dirty look. 

"Not funny, dude." He rolled his eyes and paid attention to his phone again. 

"Speaking of Emily, you got a crush on her or something?" I asked him. 

"What? No...course not..she's not my type. I guess." He stuttered. 

"Good. Cause I was kinda thinkin' of asking her out."  l lied again. 

"What?! You can't do that! You have Remi, you can't just break up with her like that! And then ask out her best friend, that's so wrong! And..." Grayson trailed off with his sentence. 

"You like her." I finished his sentence for him. 

"No! Totally, totally,totally, untrue! I do not like her at all." Grayson claimed. 

"Really, because you got really angry when I said I was gonna ask her out." I told him. 

"Fine! Maybe I like her a little. Who cares? It's not like she likes me..." He sighed. "She's so perfect. Like her smile bro, it's just...wow. She deserves so much better than Carter. I just...I don't know. How can I ever get a pretty girl like her to like an ugly ass guy like me?" 

"You could try talking to her. That's getting somewhere." I chuckled. 

"I'm trying. I've been staring at this screen ever since school got over and I can't think of a single thing to say. If I say the wrong thing then she'll think I'm weird and she'll never like me. I just... I don't know. Do you ever feel nervous when you talk to Remi?" He asked me setting his phone down on the table. 

"All the time, bro. It's scary as hell when I talk to her. If I say something stupid it could mess everything up. But sometimes you just have to get over those feelings as say something anyways." I responded. "Saying something and messing up is better than saying nothing and regretting it." 

"Wow...when did you get so smart?" He asked. 

I rolled my eyes. "You better text her before I do." 

He took a deep breath and grabbed his phone. He punched a two letters into the keyboard and sent the message. 

"Let me guess...you said hi." I guessed. 

"Yeah. I did. But, I had to say something didn't I?" He asked. 

I shrugged and walked up to my room. I closed the door behind me and took out my phone, I called Remi. After two rings she answered. 

"Hey, Ethan." She said. I blushed and smiled at her saying my voice. 

"Hey, whatcha doing?" I asked her. 

"I'm hanging out with Emily." She answered. 

"Oh. You wanna come over?" I asked her. 

"I would but, I can't ditch Emily." She responded. 

"Bring her over. It would be a good chance for her to see Grayson." I flopped down on my bed. 

"Okay. Hold on." I heard her talk to Emily.