Chapter SEVEN {Makara}

Chapter Seven

Makara

Even thinking about what my Mother would say to me made me feel better immediately. Penthu didn't mean to be insensitive. He wanted to help me. Whether or not I wanted that help, however, was another story entirely.

"Princess Makara!" A voice called out to me as I rushed from the schoolroom. Turning around, I saw Hapu trying to catch up with me, and I frowned in surprise. What did he want now? Why did he even want anything?

Glancing around in concern, I stopped and waited for him to catch up. "Whatever it is, make it quick," I said quietly. "I don't want my Great-Grandfather to find out about this."

"Your Great-Grandfather?" Hapu asked in confusion, and then quickly realised who I was referring to. "Oh, you mean the Vizier. Surely he cannot control whom you socialise with in your own home."

"You'd be surprised," I said absent-mindedly, keeping an eye out for the Vizier. I never understood why my Great-Grandfather had those strange notions about me talking to people outside of my family, but I never questioned him, and nor did I disobey him. I was worried about what would happen if he caught me. I did not want him to be annoyed with me. "Anyway, what is it? What did you need to speak about?"

As soon as I said it, I realised that it sounded rude, even though that wasn't how I meant it. Oh, well - what can you do?

"Right...well, um...I just wanted to say, um, that since we shall be spending much more time together, at the request of my Master, Penthu - perhaps, we should become friends? Acquaintances, at least. There's no point us spending hours per day together if we continually argue and bicker like little children. Although, I suppose..." his voice trailed off for a bit, not wanting to insult me by calling me a 'little child.' "Anyway, I just thought...yeah."

I paused before responding. I needed to think. I had never had a friend before, with the exceptions of Aunt Huy and Sete - although I assumed that their friendship was one I could count on only because of their loyalty to Mother. And, perhaps, because Aunt Huy was my family. But I had never had any other friends. Never had any real friends. Ay would never allow it.

Part of me knew I should've said no. Perhaps if I had declined Hapu's offer, I would've saved myself some of the pain that I suffered in the future. But I was curious. I was intrigued. Maybe it was the fact that it would be a new experience. Maybe it was the fact that it was forbidden, and the thought of disobeying my Great-Grandfather gave me an excited rush. But whatever it was, I soon found myself saying to Hapu, "Alright. Acquaintances, at first. If I find I like you then I shall give you the prestigious position of being my friend. But the Vizier cannot know."

Hapu grinned. "Very prestigious indeed, Your Highness. I am sure I am one of the lucky few that can make the claim."

"You cannot yet. Acquaintance first, remember. Friend comes later. Much later."

He grinned again, in a more cheeky manner than before. "Perhaps. I'm sure you will come to adore me, Princess Makara. Soon enough, you will be the one begging for my affections, and will be devastated to be declined!" 

Rolling my eyes, I responded appropriately to his witty tongue: "Do not hold your breath, dear Hapu."

"Calling me 'dear' already? My, methinks that this friendship is progressing far too fast! What did I tell you?"

"Don't get ahead of yourself. Me wishing for your attention comes much, much later," I giggled.

Hapu gasped, and took a step back. "Oh, dear. You're planning for the future. This is moving far too fast! You're becoming attached to me!" He mock-sighed. "What did I tell you, Princess? I fear I must leave now before things become even worse."