Chapter TWO [Makara]

Chapter Two

Makara

The reflection of the flames from the torches illuminating Mother's chambers glinted on the shiny metal looking glass in my hand. The soft bristles of the comb stroked my hair, catching the knots and eliminating them to give me soft, smooth hair. Aunt Huy brushed my hair slowly, so as to not snap any.

Mother lay down on her bed, eyes closed. She hadn't been very talkative or energetic at all lately - not like her usual self. Of course, it was the death of my sister that had done this to her. Mother needed to produce a male heir to inherit the throne of Egypt. I needed to have a brother. King Tutankhamun could die at any time, so it was imperative a son was to be born as soon as possible.

My Uncle was in no way mad at Mother; he was very understanding. In fact, in the hours after the birth, Uncle Tutankhamun was the one who Mother rested her shoulder against - he was the only one permitted into her chambers; even Aunt Huy was forbidden. But today, just over forty-eight hours after the birth, Mother had allowed Aunt Huy and I to visit her once more. But the Queen had not stepped foot outside her chamber, not even for meals. She spent her time in deep prayer, begging Anubis and Osiris to grant my sister safe passage into the afterlife. If Sitinpewet was not blessed in this life, Mother prayed that she would be granted eternal life in the next.

That's what she was doing now; lying down peacefully on her bed, hands clasped together, her lips moving, forming silent words. She barely acknowledged Aunt Huy and I.

My Aunt leant down to my ear. "Have you seen your father lately?" she whispered, careful not to make herself heard by the Queen. Father was my Mother's lover, who lived in the city of Waset. He was a soldier in the Royal Army, under direction from General Horemheb himself, but nobody except for my Aunt, the King, and Sete knew that he was my father.

Mother still claimed to love him, but she would always act cold and distant whenever we visited his home. It was easy to see how it broke my Father's heart, but it seemed there was nothing we could do to sway her. Aunt Huy, who was Father's sister, once told me that she had spoken to Mother about it, only for the Queen to reply that she was not going to betray her brother, The King, her husband, once more - that 'once' being when I was born.

"No," I replied softly. "Mother hasn't mentioned it for weeks. I doubt we will be going anytime soon now." I gestured at her, peacefully praying.

Aunt Huy nodded. "Perhaps if we go to see Kahmose, it will cheer her up. Maybe tomorrow or the day after. Get her out of that bed. It is not healthy."

"I will talk to the King," I promised, staring at my reflection in the looking glass. Aunt Huy was beginning to style small braids into my hair, and it looked absolutely divine.

Whenever we wished to visit Father, we always needed permission from my Uncle. Of course, he would always grant it. Tutankhamun and Mother grew up in an environment where they were generally cut off from their parents; especially their father. They didn't want me to go through that.

So far, I hadn't. I was close to all my family. Mother and Father both cared for me immensely, and Uncle Tutankhamun spent much time with me - we generally played senet, which was his favourite game. He was the best in all of Egypt at the game, having spent ten years of his life practising his skills. He began teaching me senet only a year ago, and while I did not share his enthusiasm about the game, I'll admit it was a good way to pass the time.

Visiting Father was often the highlight of my month. Spending my days in the palace got boring after a while. There was only so much one could do, even in a place as vast as this, and I had lived here for nine years. Everything I could do here I had done, but when I went to Father's house, he always came up with a new and ingenious pastime that I would thoroughly enjoy.