I'm His Maid, He's My Valentine 13

Recap…

Within seconds, my vision blurred. My body went limp. My eyes didn’t even have the strength to widen as the man in the mirror gazed down at me, a scowl on his lips.

What caused me to feel so terrified was that I recognised him. The familiar tattoo on his arm triggered a memory. He was a member of the gang.

But despite everything that was happening, I only wanted to know one thing.

Where was Master Josh?

^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^

CHAPTER 13

Once my eyelids lifted, all I managed to take in were the faint voices speaking in the background. My head throbbed, and a pain shot at my shoulder as I sat up into a sitting position, letting the cold wall support my back.

After a minute, my vision finally returned to normal. I pressed my fingers against my temple then narrowed my eyes, trying to perceive the current situation.

Four guys surrounded Master Josh, who was lying there on the ground, seemingly helpless. To my relief, he managed to get back on his feet in merely a second, defending himself from the others.

“Oh my god, Avery! You’re okay!” Jess cried suddenly, her loud voice making me gasp in alarm. She bent over and grabbed my hands, then neatened the hair out of my face.

Seeing her in such a poor state put me at guilt. “Jess… I’m so sorry you’re here,” I apologised sincerely, my throat dry as I helped her sit up properly. She had dirt on one side of her face, and her brunette curls were toppled all over the place.

“Why are you sorry? Who are they? Why did they bring us here?” Jess brought herself closer to me, grasping my jumper with trembling fingers.

For what felt like the first time in my life, I witnessed her feeling terrified. Her eyes glistened, like she could burst into tears any minute. Her fingers on my navy jumper tightened, scrunching fiercely at the fabric. “Jess, it’s okay,” I soothed, attempting to sound calm myself. “We’ll get out of here soon.”

Glancing outside one of the windows, my heart skipped a beat. It was night time. How long was I unconscious for? Why were the guys fighting Master Josh again?

A sudden breeze found its way into the deserted building, raising the hairs on my neck. I pulled my legs closer to myself, wrapping my arms firmly around my knees. Jess snuggled closer, clearly on the verge of tears.

“You’re so going to regret it if you don’t tell your loving father to change the plan,” the bald guy spat bitterly, gripping Master’s school jumper threateningly by the front.

I sighed in frustration. Were they trying to get him to drop the CEO position that Master Tony had arranged for him? My mind just couldn’t form a rational thought. Who were they? Why did it even matter to them whether Master Josh was the next CEO or not?

“Listen,” Master started, catching up with his breathing, “I have no interest in working at the company. I wasn’t the one who asked for the CEO position in the first place.” He pulled himself away from the guy’s grip, but that only resulted in him being kicked to the ground.

“I don’t give a crap. You either call him now, or we’ll have no choice but to kill you.” The bald guy kicked Master Josh’s leg as though daring him to get up and fight again.

From a distance, I caught a glimpse of blood on Master Josh’s hand. My breathing went heavy. Was that the same injury from the party, when his hand was cut from the glass of the beer bottle?