Chapter Three

A Friend and A Colleague 

Noah found his way back to the foyer, the sprawling marble steps and wooden walls were hardly a comfort. Neither were the gold railings nor statues that either were a part of the walls, ceilings, and archways, or sitting on marble platforms near beautiful paintings, some looked as old as the castle itself.

Yet, Noah hadn't the time to look at them, instead, he was flipping through his bizarre school pamphlet that had neither a picture nor drawing inside. He had thought it would be simple to find his way to his roommate, classroom, dorm, or anywhere.

"To your left" was not a helpful instruction as there were two buildings to Noah's left when he stepped out onto the porch. They were newer than the castle, brick and covered in ivy that was shaded from green to bright red. To his right was the same, ahead of him was the sprawling gardens and courtyard before the gate.

A loud yet calm voice called out to him in what was undoubtedly French. His years of learning it pushed to the forefront of his mind when he looked to see the same girl he had seen before. She had her merlot blazer tossed over her shoulder, her arms folded across her chest, her eyes were squinting to look at him as the sun shone brightly on her tawny skin.

Noah scrambled for words, trying to remember what his mother, father, and teachers had taught him. He was better at reading French, he had always credited himself with the ability to understand it written. Speaking it, forcing his vocal words to make the noises was far different.

"Englishman?" The girl eventually asked.

"American," Noah replied, somewhat relieved she seemed to understand him without him having to speak. 

"Oh, thank god," she said in an American accent. "I thought I was the only American in this entire place." She huffed.

"I'm, uh, Noah Cooper," he said, holding his hand out to her. He hadn't thought he would meet another American at the small, prestigious academy. To meet one that clearly spoke French and German, he knew that he had to attempt friendship—even if he believed himself to be too awkward to do so.

"Mi Na," she said as she took his hand. "New people always get lost."

Noah nodded sheepishly as he looked back to the booklet. Despite his literacy, the booklet was more confusing. Context clues were scarce, many words he didn't know were used. "You speak French, right?" He finally asked her, showing her a bit of the booklet.

Mi Na stepped towards him, looking over his shoulder to the booklet.

"My French isn't as good as my German," she confessed before shrugging. "But it isn't that hard to find your roommate around here. There's only a couple hundred of us."

Noah frowned at the idea of a 'couple hundred' candidates. He hadn't done well in school, trying to avoid his studies as well as his classmates. He hadn't wanted to go to a university either—it left him with little choice but to go to the academy. The idea of a 'couple hundred' peers he must endure put a frog in his throat. 

It seemed Mi Na sensed his angst and patted his shoulder. 

"Trust me, just go into the dorm and find the bed that doesn't have anything on it. Everyone gets to personalize their side of the room—whichever one is empty, that's your's." She said. 

Noah nodded. "But which building is it?" He gestured to the two at his left before looking back at her and the broom that was in her other hand, it distracted him quickly. "Why are you sweeping the floor?"

"Ha!" Mi Na had a barking laugh, she twirled the broom around her fingers. "If you didn't notice, the Headmaster and I don't really get along. He's got me busy since I insist on breaking into the pool all the time."