Chapter Two. Hints to Something

You might think that a third grader is too early to feel infatuated with someone but it indeed happens.

I admit I'm quite known in our school with my teaching parents and all. Also, I admit I have the looks, not because I'm too proud but many other people say so. With natural wavy brown hair, pointed nose and cute dimples, they think I'm beautiful. Plus, I'm smart too, who always belong in the top of the class. Take note, I have a good personality, too. It's not that I'm bragging about who I am but I know myself and I'm truthful and confident to admit it.

However, I'm not the one who would proudly shout all these traits to anyone. Like shoving all of these in front of their faces. I don't care about anything of these, just be it. I just continue to be myself.

Going back, a lot of boys admitted their interests on me even at this age. But I'm the kind of person who does not pay attention to such things. I want to be friends with anyone, just that and nothing more. We're still very young and I don't understand why people wanted things such love when you could freely be playing outside.

One afternoon, while we're having our practice for the upcoming competition, a senior friend approached me.

"Hey, Kaye. Don't you know that both Justin and Ken have an interest on you?" Kelsie told me. "Oh, really? Come on, don't tease me" were all I said.

"It's true, though," she continued. "They personally told me about it."

"You know what? Don't mind those two. We're too young for that matter," I replied. "Let's go continue our practice."

I just ignored this matter. I'm not the one who would complicate things so everything between me and the two boys stayed the same.

Another year passed and the team stayed the same except one thing. While Justin and me remained friends and close, really close, Ken kind of drifted from us not that we're inseparable at the first place. But Justin and Ken remained the best friends. I'm just the extra, you know. Anyway, Ken became my worst frienemy. Ironic, but it's true. Friends because we still belong in the same team and still get along well during practices and competition and enemy because he always annoy the hell out me.

There was a time that Ken and I had a serious feud regarding the school election. It happened that we both ran in the same position and I won against him. He was so serious about this that he said that I only won because my parents were teachers. What does this imply? That I did some dirty works? I didn't and will never do.

But that issue never lasted. We're children, after all. Problems such that wouldn't be a big deal unlike in adults. Ken and I remained the same but the teases never stopped. There was a time that I made him cry. He just won't stop on teasing me. So I was annoyed and I hit him with a bamboo stick that made his legs became sore and really red, leaving scars. And so, he cried.

More confessions came that I all ignored. I was linked to another boy named Chris Bailey. But of course, knowing my personality, nothing of it was true. Friendships remained and so we did.