Chapter 5

|Autumn|

At lunch, we weren't really feeling the cafeteria food (like every other teenager there) so we decided to go get some ChickFil-A and chill at the park. August was there, but he wasn't saying anything. Not to anybody really. He looked like he was in deep thought.

I didn't mess with him even though I did want to thank him for letting Marquez stay home for a week.

When we got to ChickFil-A, there was this really cute boy about my age behind the cash register, looking bored out of his mind as he stood there head in his palms and elbows on the counter. He was tall and muscular with dark skin, long black dreads, and blue eyes.

He brightened when he saw us come in. Is he looking at me? No, he's not looking at me. He can't be looking at me.

Kylie and I were the last in line except for August who was behind us.

"Uh oh, Autumn. You got a lil admirer up there." she said, loud as hell like always. The rest of the crew turned around looking at us then started laughing at Kylie's ghettoness. I definitely wouldn't want to rob a bank or something with this girl by my side. (A/N I know that's not a real word.)

The boy behind the cash register look extremely embarrassed.

We all ordered and were waiting for our food. I saw the boy wasn't going to stop staring at me. But it wasn't the kind of stare that Darion was giving me on my first day. Something was different about this guy's stare.

"See something you like?" I ask teasingly.

He smiles a cute smile showing off his white teeth and blue and green braces. Cute, I like dudes with braces. "Yes, I do. What's your name beautiful?" he asks.

I blush. "Autumn." He smiles. "I'm Trayvon."

That's when somebody came and called our order number. We all got our food, and I turned to Trayvon. "See you later, Tray." I said, turning to leave.

"Wait!"

I turned around, an eyebrow raised curiously as I gazed at him, trying to avoid his piercing bright eyes.

"Yes?"

"Can I get your number?"

I nod and go and scribble my name and number down on a napkin and give it to him. He smiles and I go join the rest of the crew to leave. "Autumn got game!" Honey screamed as soon as we left. I kissed my teeth. "Bitch, shut the fuck up. We was just talking."

"Man we wasn't even in there for five minutes, and you had that nigga asking for your number and shit." Tyga said, putting an arm around my shoulders.

I shrugged it off.

"Aw sis, why you gotta be so mean to people?" Jaylynn said with a look of mock sympathy on her face. I punched her in her shoulder. " 'Cause y'all bitches aggrivate me." I grumble. They laugh.

"I can't believe you cheated on me, baby mama." Chris said, with a look of mock hurt on his face as he threw an arm around my shoulders. I gave him that 'Nigga, you crazy.' look. "What you talkin' 'bout?" He laughs. "You was flirting with that nigga in there. All these flavors and you make me choose to be salty."

I roll my eyes and chuckle as we all finally get to the park and sit under the huge tree there. We talk as we eat. I see August sitting on a park bench, looking like he's about to go to sleep.

I get up and go sit beside him. He opens his eyes and looks at me. "What you want?" he asks, rudely. I rub my temples exasperatedly. What was his problem? I ain't even said shit yet. "Look, I ain't came to argue with you, or start nothing with you. I came over here to thank you."

August looks confused.

"Thank me? For what?"

He's not exactly the brightest crayon in the box.

"For letting my brother stay home a little. That was very nice of you."

August shrugs. "He deserves it." There's a small moment of silence before I say, "Why do you dislike me?" He looks at me. " 'Cause you're spoiled, paranoid, and you're probably a back-stabbing bit-chick like most of the other girls out here."

I smirk. "At least you're honest with your opinion. Too bad you're as far from the truth as you can possibly be. I'm not spoiled. I grew up with a coke-head mama and my daddy's been in jail since I was a kid. I was always pushing rocks with my brother and studying. My mother used to do stupid shit to us because of how high she was. She would let her pimps come in and fuck my sister and I just so she could get her fix. You know my name not my story, bitch. Do don't get it twisted."

I get up to leave and August hops up from his seat as well. "Wait, Autumn. I-"

I shake my head, cutting him off from whatever bullshit apology he was about to feed me. "Whatever August."

I go throw my trash away, hug the crew, and head back to school. As I'm walking out of the park, I hear Chris say to August, "Yo man, what'd you say to her. She looks really mad this time."

I am mad. August has no right to judge me. He doesn't even know the half of the kind of life I lived. And even if I was spoiled? So what. That would be none of his buisiness, and even then he still wouldn't have the right to judge me.

At the end of the day, we're sitting in our last period Gym class and I'm telling Jaylynn, Kylie, and Honey what happened yesterday at my house and today at the park.

I'm not the type to go around telling my buisiness, but they almost killed me because I didn't want to tell them. When I'd finished talking, Kylie grinned. "I knew that boy liked you." she exclaimed. I have no doubt that she said that loud enough for the nearest nursing home to hear.

We all covered her mouth to shut her up, but it was too late. Tyga and Chris nosy asses were already running over.

"Who like Autumn?" they asked simultaneously.

We all stared at them trying to come up with a good lie. "The cashier at ChickFil-A." Jaylynn blurted out.

Tyga nodded. "Oh ok." said Chris. They went back over by August and continued talking. "I can't belive they bought that." Honey muttered. "I know right," agreed Kylie excitedly, "but like I was saying, I knew August liked you." My eyebrows raise. That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. August hates me!

"And how did you come to that conclusion?" I ask amused. "Yesterday, at lunch," she starts, "August barely even talks to the new girls, but he did all that arguing with you just for a name."

I laugh. "Kylie, really? That's all the proof you have? That doesn't mean anything." She smirks. "That kiss meant something." I glare at her as the bell rings. I grab my bag and go in the locker room to change, eager to escape the conversation. "Uh oh, Kylie done gone and made Autumn mad." Jaylynn laughed.

Kylie shrugged. "If she swing at me, all I ask is that there be yellow roses at my funeral."

I rolled my eyes, deciding not to comment as I changed into my regular clothes and hurried to the parking lot.

As I was starting the car, I got a text from Winter, asking me to pick up some stuff from the store. I text her that I would and she texted me the grocery list. That's when someone tapped on the driver's side window of my car.

I jumped and looked up.

It was August. Oh God, what are we going to argue about now?

REVISED & EDITED
WORD COUNT: 1,339