The Quarterback

"Well that was an experience!" I say sarcastically to Jess.

"Yeah," She agrees, "you want to go home?" She asks in a motherly tone.

I give her a look as if nothing happened. "No. We just got here. There's no point of leaving yet. Beside that was only the first of many drunks we will probably run in to tonight."

Jess agrees and the three of us walk out of the room leaving Brad on the floor in a puddle of his own blood. We are classy people.

The next room we find is one with a bunch of guys wearing jerseys staring quite intensely at a TV screen. I recognize the guys as the football team, and what they are watching happens to be football, which is one of my favourite things ever. I turn and look at Jess and Brandon - who don't look amused - and ask "Do you guys mind if I stay and watch for a bit? I know you aren't very interested in sports."

They're fine with it and go somewhere else to dance or something. However, I remind them to not accept any drinks. They already knew that. "Hey, whats the score?" I ask Jimmy who is the best quarterback our school has had since 1978 and one of the most attractive people I know. 

"6-0, but it just started so a lot can happen." He replies "You like football?" He asks with amusement in his eyes while still staring at the TV.

"Are you kidding?" I say a little too loud, but he just laughs.

"We should get together and play some time. You play flag I'm guessing?"

I laugh "Hell no! Tackle is my game." That might make me sound a little tough for a girl to say but I am the exception to all clichés and stereotypes so it doesn't bother me. It doesn't seem to bother him either because he is smiling like a fool. 

"We defiantly need to play sometime. Some friends and I are playing for fun at 3:00 on Saturday at the school. You interested?"

I withdraw from giggling but I feel my cheeks blushing "See you there." 

We continue to watch. He tries the oldest trick in the book by yawning and putting his arm over my shoulders. I let him. It stays that way for a brief 30 second before the team the guys are cheering for get a touchdown, and we win the game. Well... it was nice while it lasted - and at least he's not drunk. 

I don't really care really about what team won because I don't really like watching sports - I prefer to play them. However I act excited so Jimmy doesn't start to question me. 

He's excited, I'm excited - sort of, the team's excited. Overall, a pretty nice moment in time. Jimmy is so happy he viciously grabs me by my shoulders and kisses me on the lips. He pulls away right when he realizes what he did, but instead of apologizing he pulls me closer and raps his arms around my waist. Hey, I ain't complaining - he's hot.

"That was nice," I say with an I-can-roll-with-it kind of voice and he hesitates to say "yeah," with a lot of a breath coming out with that one word. The moment is broken up when Brad enters the room. Even more drunk as before he is now struggling to walk and using furniture to keep himself standing. 

"Babe, we didn't get to finish our moment back there. Let's continue where we left off, shall we?" I barely understand what he is saying. Before I can respond Jimmy is in front of me guarding me from Brad. "Oh, are you going to punch me in the face now?" Brad says with sarcasm, but knowing that is exactly what is going to happen, he says it a little whiny as well. 

"You catch on faster drunk then sober." I hear come out of Jimmy's mouth and everyone giggles little bit because we all know it's true.

Jimmy tightens his fist. As he pulls his whole arm back to get as much momentum as he can, I duck under his elbow and nail Brad right in the face, knocking him out again. As I turn around to see Jimmy's reaction, he puts his arm around me again and walks me out of the room, stepping over a really drunk and bloody Brad. 

"You're a tough one, huh?" He asks looking very proud of me.

"Yup, so you better watch out." I say in a joking manner, and he laughs which reassures me about that comment. I see Brandon and Jess dancing together to my current favourite song - Best Day of My Life by American Authors. I turn to Jimmy and say "This is my jam! You want to dance?"

He nods and we head over to where Jess and Brandon are, and start dancing. Jess and I are singing along to the music as loud as we can. I'm singing the melody and Jess, being the best singer I know, is harmonizing. It doesn't sound that bad.

So let's see. In the last few hours I watched a close football game, got kissed by a really nice, cute guy, witnessed Brad get punched in the face three times and I am now dancing with my two best friends and singing along to my favourite song. And I still haven't had any alcohol all night, as I don't plan to. I'd say life is pretty good right about now. 

Oh - I also get to play tackle football on Saturday at 3:00pm. So excited for that!