24. the lucky one

Start from the beginning

Finally, the horses stopped moving and I forced myself to open my eyes. When I did I was met with the sight of a large bridge, it was covered in moss and overgrown trees, the dense forest surrounding it. But the sight of the bridge wasn't what shocked me. What had me almost crying out in surprise was the sight of Clarke, Octavia and my brother on the other side, joined by the Grounder that had taken Octavia.

"Get her off." The woman ordered which caused the Grounder who I had been on the horse with to jump off and pull me harshly from the back of the animal. 

I felt myself wince as he dragged me along behind him, walking me in the direction the bridge...toward my brother. The minute saw me, he started toward me in a hurry, only to be stopped by Grounder we had captured, who I now assumed was Lincoln. Lincoln said something to hum before nodding to Clarke.

My brother and Clarke shared a look before the blonde girl began making her way down the bridge towards us. T

he woman now grabbed my arm, yanking me from the man as she continued walking with me. In what felt like eternity, we were finally in the middle of the bridge, the woman forcefully shoving me towards Clarke.

Clarke caught my weak body in her arms, enveloping me in a hug before turning to lightly push me in the direction of Finn, "It's okay," she promised, "Go to your brother."

I didn't need to argue with her on that one. I went as fast as my body would let me, ignoring all my injuries begging me to stop. When I was far enough away from Clarke and Anya, Finn rushed towards me.

I let out a sob as my twin brother pulled me into his arms, squeezing me so tightly I felt like I couldn't breath. "It's okay Aves. You're gonna be okay."

I didn't let go of him as he all but carried me back to where Octavia and Lincoln we standing. My arms were tightly wrapped around the back of his neck, my face pressed into his shoulder. The minute we reached them, Octavia was pulling me from Finn's grasp, tears filling her eyes as she hugged me. "I'm so glad you're okay." she whispered.

I forced a smile at her once she released me. Finn instinctively pulled me back towards him, wrapping his arm around my waist, allowing me to use him for support. "How did you—"

He cut me off, knowing what I was about to ask, "It's a long story," he explained, "But you're here now and that's all that matters."

I nodded as we all fell into silence, all of us watching the exchange between Clarke and Anya. Everything seemed to be going as well as it could considering it seemed that the two of our groups at been at an undeclared war since we arrived.

It wasn't until a scream from the tree line that everything descended into chaos. "Clarke, get down!"

I recognized the voice as Jasper's, and not even seconds after his warning, shots began ringing off around us along with a downpour of arrow fire. My heart lurched in my chest as Finn threw mine and his body onto the ground.

His breathing was heavy as he used his body to shield mine, suddenly he began to yell, "Clarke, get down!"

I felt his body shift overtop of mine as he sat up. I felt another pair of arms grab me and pull me up off the ground. I looked up with wide eyes to see Lincoln step in front of Octavia and I.

Terror consumed me as Finn began running down the bridge towards Clarke.

I started forward, only being stopped by Lincoln who reached out to pull me back behind him. 

"Finn!" I screamed, my voice barely strong enough. He ignored me as he kept on towards the blonde, once he reached her he threw his body in front of her similar to how he had with me.

I could barely breathe as I watched the two of them run back towards us, dodging arrows as they did so. I was too busy watching the two of them to notice an arrow coming in our direction, I didn't see it until it was impaled in Lincoln's chest.

Octavia let out a gasp as she moved out from behind him, "Oh my God Lincoln, you've been hit."

Lincoln let out a grunt in pain, "It's just a scratch." he brushed it off, quickly breaking the end of the arrow off. 

Once Clarke and Finn had reached us Lincoln pushed Octavia away from him, "Okay, run. Don't stop until you get behind your walls. Go, take her!" he ordered, pushing Octavia into Clarke who grabbed her and began running.

"Lincoln, no!" Octavia's scream was full of emotion as she was pulled away from him.

"Come on Aves." Finn muttered, pulling me into his arms and up off the ground. I finally let the exhaustion that had been plaguing me for days consume me, resting my head on his chest. I listened to his breathing as we ran.

It appeared that our conflict with the Grounders was far from over.

hey guys! so I know avery wasn't gone for very long but I just felt like the story line fit better if she was reunited with the gang in this scene!

let me know what you thought of this chapter :)

-maddy xo