Chapter 16: The Prophecies

I was playing on my computer when I got the Email that changed my, now perfect, world. It was from Triston. He was telling me to go to the library. He’d found something that could help us figure out the visions and what the Worshipers of Eagon were all about. Their motives, why they kill people... Anyway, when I got to the library and found him, he looked as though he was about to throw up.

“Whoa, you look awful.”I said, not knowing what else to say. What could have happened? Earlier today everything was great! He’d broken up with Anna and it was all knock knock good good! This was a drastic change...

“Thanks for the warm welcome.” Triston replied sarcastically, trying to mask his discomfort.

I reached up and touched his paled face. “What happened?” I asked fiercely. He didn’t say a word, just led me to the back of the library. What is going on? Triston pulled up a chair and I sat down. On the desk in front of me was a book. To be more precise, the one I bought from ‘The Divine; spell books, charms and more!’ I stared at it, shocked. How did he get this book? I thought it was in my room, under my bead, in a box, that had a closed lid... “How did you get this book? It was in my room!” I say.

Triston ran a hand over the back of his neck (I’ve figured out that he does this when he’s embarrassed or nervous.).  “I asked Anna to get it for me a couple of days ago. I wanted to read up on the Worshipers of Eagon. See if there were any hints or clues about them... And I found this.” He sat down beside me and flipped to a page. It was covered with words and pictures. A true work of art, but what does this have to do with the cult? Are they a cult full of artists or something?

“What are they?” I wonder aloud.

“They’re prophecies. Two too be exact. They stood out to me because of what we learned before. About the oracle and her prophecies? I think these are hers. But I’m almost positive they haven’t been fulfilled yet.” Triston said. How could he be sure the prophecies hadn’t been solved yet? They could be thousands of years old!

“How do you know? About these prophecies not being completed yet, I mean...” I say.

“Because, I think we’re in them.” He said. My mouth dropped though it wasn’t a surprise. We’d talked about the connection. How we would possibly need to save the world... But we couldn’t confirm any of the inferences because we didn’t have the prophecies, yet here they are. I guess it’s time to face the truth.

“Let me read them.” I said, my voice shaking at the end. I was terrified of what I’d find. Having to save the world is a lot for a 13 year old to handle. I took a deep breath and pulled the book closer to me. Triston followed and put his head next to mine. I didn’t even care I was so involved with what was on the page. I read it out loud. “Three will sound the battle call, 11 will go many will fall, a fight that will end with so much true pain, a heroes soul one shall gain.” I shuddered, and so did Triston. He wrapped an arm around me, trying to shield the cold. But I could feel the goose bumps on his arms. I continued to the second prophecy. “One with the heart and care for them all, his weakness is love; someday it will be his fall. One with the strength and anger ablaze, she will fail to save what matters most in the end. One that will triumph over all, with the power and magic within her, she will lead them her army, and will discover the truth, over power the Keeper and finish it all. These three will save, these three will triumph, these three will be greater than the Earth it’s self.”

The library was silent (For once with us there.).  The words I’d spoken lingered in the air and I couldn’t shake them from my mind. I had a feeling I knew who the prophecies were referring too.  Triston was right.

“Okay, so there are two of us. We know that we are in these prophecies. That leaves ten unknown people. We have to find them, before the Worshipers of Eagon do.” Triston said. I was wondering who would go into battle. What battle? And ‘true pain’? What did that mean, it couldn’t be good (Wonder how I know that?)... What about the Keeper. Who is that? There was no mention of the Keeper in this book!