Chapter 10: The Divine; spell books, charms and more!

The voices didn’t return. My mind continues to be silent (Excusing my own roiling thoughts). But I can’t shake what I’d heard out of my mind. ‘Yeah, I think I like you.’ Was one thing. And I know Triston thought it. His voice was evident in my head. As clear as crystal.

How on Earth did I know what he was thinking? I know we’re connected in some freaky way, but mind reading? That sounds too much like a bad Sci-Fi movie.  What does ‘Yeah, I think I like you.’ mean? Does he like me? I shake my head vigorously. Today is for getting to know Triston, not for obsessing over the fact that he may or may not have feelings for you. My mind hissed.

 Since the High School aged students have exams for the next week, students not at that age (Meaning me!) get the entire week off. Today is day one, and I’m leaving the campus with Triston and my parents. Right now, I’m sitting in my room trying (With very little success) not to freak out about seeing Triston again. Oh! And seeing my parents. That’s exciting too... kind of...

I drummed my finger on my desk. Both of them should have been here by now. It’s not like my parents to be late! It is like Triston though... I looked around the room again, got up, fixed my hair in the mirror, and sat back down. Katie gave me a look that seems to say ‘So you’ve finally gone mental?’ I rolled my eyes in response. Did I mention Katie’s here? Yeah, she and Anna are hanging out today. In my room. Great right?

“Brook, chill. It’s just your parents. You couldn’t have missed them that much.” Anna says from her bed. She looks so relaxed. I sigh. I haven’t told anyone I’m leaving campus with Triston because I know they would freak. I especially couldn’t tell Anna. Which was a shame, we were becoming pretty close.

Suddenly there was a knock on the door. Finally! I think. I jump from my seat and race to the door. I swing it open and rush into my parents arm.

“Hey pumpkin! “ My dad says and gives me a kiss on my head.

“Okay bye guys!” I holler.

But before I can close the door I hear Katie say “Oh Brook! Aren’t you going to introduce us to your parents?” I squeeze my eyes shut and put on a cheerful smile. I hope it doesn’t look as strained as it feels.

“Right! Of course, how rude of me.” I say in my best ‘Sweet Little Angel’ voice. “Mom, Dad, the blond on the left is Anna Parker. She’s my roommate.  She’s really awesome. And the other one is Katie Walker. She lives next door. She’s special.” I say and smirk in Katie’s direction. She gives me the middle finger.  I roll my eyes. “Okay, Bye! Stay out of my stuff please!” I call over my shoulder. I trust Anna not to destroy my things. Katie though... that’s another story. She’s been mean since I got here. Not as bad as Samantha, but still not good. At least I have confidence now. And people who’ll stand up for me if they ever caught her being rude.

“So, where’s the boy? Are we picking him up or something?” My dad asks innocently. My face turns a bright shade of red.

“Um... yeah. He’ll be in the lounge, if he isn’t late...” I can already tell that my face will be permanently dyed red by the end of the day.

“So, do you like this boy? Is he your boyfriend? Hmm? I need details!” My mother shrieks from my side. I groan feeling the blood rush to my cheeks even more. Grrrr... Why is my mother such a teenage girl?

“No he is not my boyfriend. He’s Anna’s. Yeah the Anna we just met? Her. And yes I do like him I think, so don’t even think about embarrassing me!” I say, the words falling out of my mouth like a waterfall. Oh God, what have I done! Now I will never hear the end of this!

My parents look at each other, probably making a silent agreement to be as horrible as possible. I groan again. No! No! No! No! I kept repeating the phrase until we got down to the lounge. Triston was sitting on the couch.