Chapter 28: Too Many Tears

I stare blankly at the reflection in the mirror, daring it to cry. The burning behind my eyes won’t disappear no matter how many times I blink. Today is his funeral. Seas of people dressed in black will flood a small church in a matter of hours. Some of those people are family or friends, but some only spoke to Riley once.

My eyes won’t leave my pale image. Even when the door opens and closes behind me, I can’t seem to break eye contact with myself.

“You look beautiful.” Triston’s voice fills my ears, releasing me from the trance sadness has put me in.

“Thanks.” I reply and turn in the chair, head hung low.

Triston places his fingers under my chin and lifts my head so I can look at him. His jet black hair is combed back and he’s wearing a rented suit. Dashing is the only way to describe him. But, like everyone in our group, a cloud of pain hangs within him.

“I believe this is the part where you kiss me for the complement.” Triston says quietly and pulls me to a standing position. Tilting my head back, he looks into my eyes and I know he can sense my feelings. So he kisses me, long and soft until my emotions are swept away with my loss of concentration.

“What time is it?” I murmur after a good chunk of time has passed. Triston leans his forehead against mine and glances at his watch.

“Time to go. Everyone’s meeting us downstairs. Riley’s parents are driving us. You might want to tell them who you are and leave all the magic stuff out.” I can’t help but notice his voice crack upon saying his best friend’s name.

I don’t point it out, knowing good and well that the name would sound the same on my lips. “Do we need to get Anna?” I ask.

“No, she’ll be down there too.” Triston opens the door and I begin to walk out, but his arm stops me. “Promise me something, don’t cry.” The begging in his voice shocks me.

I can’t promise such a thing. The water works are working over time today. “I can’t promise that.” I whisper and give him another kiss.

When I see Riley’s parents, my heart rips in two. They’re eyes are puffy and red, and they’re holding each other so tightly; you’d think they’d topple over without the support of the one another.

Triston’s face twists in agony at the sight of them. “Hey, it’s going to be all right. I’ll be right beside you.” I say to him as our strides become smaller and we stop in front of friends and the weeping couple.

Everyone’s present even Anna. She’s pulled herself together, meaning to make a good impression on Riley’s parents. Well as good of an impression you can make in the midst of a funeral.

Exchanging hugs with my friends, I turn to Riley’s parents. “Hello. You must be Mr. And Mrs. Johnson. I’m Brook Smith, Triston’s girlfriend. I’m sorry about your son. I knew him for a little while; I’ve only just come to Bentally. I’m roommates with his girlfriend.” I say cordially, gesturing to Triston and Anna.

 A look of confusion, happiness, and everlasting sadness cross both the parent’s faces. “My boy didn’t have a girlfriend.” The mother says; her tone cold.

“Sorry mam, I guessed he’d have told you.” Anna steps forward. “I don’t know if you remember me. I came to your house with Triston at the beginning of the school year. Your son and I had only been dating for... four days.” Her confident demeanor rolls away and I can see her face glaze over with pain as she winces at her memories.

Riley’s mothers face softens. “He left us far too soon my dear, far too soon. I’m just glad the rest of you are safe.” She pulls Anna into a tight embrace. Riley’s father pats Triston on the back. We all stand there, lost in our thoughts of the brave boy.