Chapter 11: Wait, Did You Say We're Dating?

~~~~~ Picture of the necklace on the side--------------------------------> ~~~~~~~~~

“So what did I miss?” Triston asked when I came out of the store. I smack him on the arm. “Ow! Hey, what was that for?”

“That was for leaving me in the store by myself! Do really need to protect your reputation that badly?” I ask. I was pretending to be mad. I really didn’t care. I’d have been more embarrassed than anything if Triston had heard the words that were passed between me and Angelica.

“I... uh... no. I’m sorry!” Triston apologised. His eyes full of regret. Aww! This has to be the sweetest boy in world! And I get to be friends with him. Luck is all it took. Or maybe a freaky oracle. Whichever!

I laughed. “Apology accepted. Now let’s go before my parents start to miss me.” I say. As we begin our short walk home, I remember the object Angelica slipped into my bag. “Wait! The lady, she put something else in my bag. She said it was for protection.” I reached into my bag and pulled out a tiny purple pouch. I reached inside and pulled out a necklace. It had a long silver chain with a pentacle on the end. It was beautiful.

“Wow. That’s a spooky looking piece of jewelry.” Triston says. I hit him in the stomach.

“Sush. It’s beautiful.” I whisper.

“What is it?” He asked, wonder filling his voice.

“It’s a pentacle. I remember reading something about them on the internet. Pentacles and Pentagrams are symbols of protection, the Elements, the God and Goddess, and the whole World in which we live. It is a peaceful symbol that doesn’t symbolize evil as some would believe. The star is one of the oldest symbols created by man to represent the cosmos, "heaven" and faith.” I say, sounding too much like an astrology textbook. Why do boring things just seem to spill from my mouth? It’s times like these when I remember why I had no friends...

“That is a lot of words. When did you have time to learn that?” He asks.

“I’m a nerd, get over it.” I say with ought hesitation. A smirk evident on my face. But I cannot keep the awe from my eyes. It was the most amazing thing I’ve ever seen. And now it’s mine. With ought a second thought I un-hook the clasp and put it around my neck. I feel the air shift, and a surge pass through me. I feel stronger. Maybe magic does exist.

“Whoa. Did you feel that?” Triston asks. And I want so badly to reach out and take his hand in mine. I don’t, for the fear that he will pull away.But his words remind me that we are connected in a way that is more than we can explain with logic, numbers or facts. .

“Yeah, I did.” I say and leave the conversation at that. We walk in silence, our thoughts our only company (And I’m happy to say the thoughts stayed in our own heads.). I let my mind wander to what happened in the store. What did Angelica mean? The words that were shared are still clear in my mind.

“What are you thinking about?” Triston asked, pulling me from my thoughts.

“Um...” I didn’t really want to tell him. Not that I don’t trust Triston or anything, it’s just that I don’t want him to think I’m a bigger freak than I let on. “Nothing.” I finally say. He just looked over at me and held my gaze as we walked down the street.

We were nearing my old school, and I can only pray that no one will be there to ruin this moment. Slowly I tore my eyes from Triston’s and viewed the playground. I let out a sigh. Loud and low.

“What is it?” Triston asked.

“My old school.” I say gesturing towards the aged jungle gym.