Part 48 - 30th September 1971 - Midnight.

Start from the beginning

"This is all I have." She whispered.

Looking around, the man found the light switch and turned it on. He emptied the box on to the bed and began sorting through the contents. Lucy held her breath, praying that Mary wouldn't wake up.

"Where's your wedding ring and stuff? Come on?"

"Please, not those!" Lucy begged.

The man stood up and roughly began to pull all three rings from her left hand. She fought against him.

"Not my wedding ring. Please!"

He lashed out angrily, "I'll break your fucking fingers off woman now, give it to me!"

With no other choice Lucy stopped struggling and let him take the final ring. As she did so a loud wail came from the cot in the room.

"WHAT THE FUCK!" He approached the cot.

"Please, my daughter's only a baby! Don't hurt her! The noise has startled her, that's all!"

She watched in horror as he picked up the crying baby.

"Wonder how much that rich husband would pay to get his daughter back?"

Lucy began to cry. "Please, give her to me. I'll stop her crying! She's not well!"

"Where's the rest of the jewellery?"

"There isn't any. I don't have much because I don't wear it except for me wedding rings and you have those!" She held out her arms for Mary. "Please, can I have my daughter?"

The man shook the baby. "Shut the fuck up kid!"

"PLEASE! I'll stop her crying! She's teething! She just needs some medicine and she'll go back to sleep!" Lucy took a few hesitant steps towards her daughter. "Give her to me. Please?"

The man looked at her then, to her surprise, handed the baby over. "She stinks of shit!"

"I need to change her. The nappies and things....they're over there." Lucy gestured to the cupboard by the window.

"Get them then!"

Lucy scuttled to the cupboard and took out what she needed. Within minutes Mary was cleaned and changed but she still wouldn't settle.

"Thought you said you could shut the brat up!"

"She's hungry!"

"Tit or bottle!"

"Bottle."

"Feed her then."

Lucy reached for the bottle at the side of the bed and gave it to her daughter, praying that the boys were still asleep. Mary drank quickly and then allowed Lucy to put her back into her cot.

"Right, downstairs!"

Once more she was forced downstairs. This time the door to Paul's music room had been forced and the room ransacked. Things that hadn't been taken had been deliberately broken. The other men looked up as she was pushed into the room. Lucy could see bags of their belongings by them but she didn't care. She just wanted them to leave!

"Right, we're going now."

Lucy nodded.

"No police or anything until 10 o'clock tomorrow morning. Got that?"

She nodded again.

"We'll know. There's someone watching the house. Got that?"

"Y..y..yes."

"Now sit down."

Lucy was pushed down on to the floor where her hands and feet where tied together behind her back, forcing her into a very painful position. She didn't complain, she just wanted them gone! Then her mouth was taped shut with parcel tape, making her gag.