Chapter 9

*Image of 1969 Ford Mustang Boss 302 up top

Melissa P.O.V.

I didn't expect my night to end with me eating a burger at Wendy's with my mate. And I have to say, the food here is the best I've had by far! Their burgers are so juicy and flavourful!

We had to ask the lady who worked at the motel for food places nearby since I had never been to this part of the town before. Neither had Mason. We were lucky that this restaurant was just down the street from the Motel Mason was staying at with his friends. I still have to meet them. I have both of their smells on my clothes. They must have helped carry me or something.

Oh goodness, that's embarrassing!

We've been chatting and getting to know each other a little more. I've been getting him to do most of the talking since I don't feel comfortable with telling him about my family yet.

I think he's starting to notice though since every time he asks me something, I would change the subject if I could or I would just give him a vague answer.

I've been having a lot of fun though.

"So, this isn't the first time one of Ace's cars broke down?"

Malcolm chuckles and sips the remainder of his soda.

"Nope. Last year he had rebuilt a 1969 Ford Mustang Boss 302 just before we had to go to the Golden Paw Pack for the ceremony of the Alpha's son taking the Alpha position. Apparently, though, he had gotten the wrong type of valve seals which caused them to melt halfway to our destination."

I looked at him shocked. I don't know much about cars but that sounds bad! On the other hand, he knows a lot about cars. With all those extra numbers, he must really like them too. I always liked cars. There was always something about them to me. I used to like reading about them in the library on my brakes when I was little.

"What happened?"

He chuckles.

"We broke down on the highway. Luckily we were near enough to their border that we just ran the rest of the way to the pack. they were nice enough to tow the car to a car repair place run by wolves. And they fixed what was wrong with much to Ace's disagreement. He wanted to fix it himself but we didn't let him. We wanted to be able to make it home on time."

A laugh escapes my lips. Ace sounds like such a funny person. I can't wait to meet him. I can't wait to meet all his friends and his family. He said I'd meet them later cause they still quickly went to the mating bond to see if their mates were there. Even though a lot of people had left, they'd still be able to catch their scent and could go after them. Also to talk to the Luna and Alpha there about getting a pack tow truck to tow them to the closest mechanic.

My eyes wander to the wall behind Malcolm and I notice the clock. My eyes widen as I see it's nearly six. Father wakes up at seven thirty which means if I want to get my stuff and leave, I only have an hour and thirty minutes to do it!

"What's wrong?"

I look at him, then at the clock.

"I-I just realized it's nearly six and I-I have to get home before my dad realizes I've left."

He looks at me puzzled.

"Why? Did he not want you to go?"

My eyes snapped to him and I quickly shook my head.

"N-No it's not that. I-I just... told him I would be back by six"

I hate lying to him but he can't know the truth. Understanding and sadness cross his face. Wait, sadness? Why would he be sad... unless? Does he know I'm lying?

"Can't you just text him and say you'll be later? I don't want you to leave yet."

I make a small exhale of relief. I don't know what I would have done if he found out I lied. Oh, I feel so bad right now lying to him right now.

"I-I don't actually have a phone and my dad just changed his number so I-I don't know it. We can meet up tomorrow though."

He sighs but reluctantly smiles. My breath is nearly sucked away from that small smile. It's so sweet and breathtaking. I'm so lucky he's my mate.

"Alright. I can escort you home if you want."

I mentally panic but, being able to keep my emotions hidden from years of practice, I don't let it show. He can't know where I live or he'll probably come to my house on another day and find my dad or my sister and that would cause nothing but trouble. I need to think of an excuse!

"O-Oh no. You can't do that. You uh... Aren't from my pack and you'll be trespassing on our territory since you don't have permission! You'll get in trouble."

"But how will we meet up again? I don't know where to find you."

Oh. That is a problem.

"We can meet back here tomorrow... or uh, well today at let's say 3 pm? Or I can just stop by the motel."

He nods. Though rather glumly.

"Alright. I wish you didn't have to leave though."

I stand up and he soon follows. Sadness starts to fill me inside as I realize I have to leave my newly found mate's presence. Anara howls in sadness.

I step out from the seat and grab my garbage and walk towards the garbage bin. Malcolm is also just behind me as he does the same.

Once we threw out our trash, we stand awkwardly. Him rubbing the back of his neck while I fiddle with my thumbs.

"So uhh. I'll see you later."

He surprises me by bringing me into a hug which I don't know why it did. He has done it already twice tonight.

"See you here tomorow at 3"

I eventually and begrudgingly pull away from him. I give him a little wave and smile beforegoing towards the exit. My heart and wolf missing him already.