Chapter Six//Weak & Strong

Elle Summerall~

On my way to gym, there was a tap on my right shoulder. Swiveling around, I nearly gasped when I saw the person who requested my attention. With his blonde beach hair swept to the side and dark chocolate eyes flickering, I shadowed in the dark compared to his perfection. "Lance," I gulped, playing with the strings of my backpack (I often did this when I was nervous).

He flashed me a delighted smile, and his confidence displayed. "Hey Elle," Lance greeted. "So, Nicole told me that you were waiting for me to make a move on you..."

I automatically flustered, the red in my cheeks extremely and undoubtedly noticeable. What the heck? Nicole was the one who told me that you were going to ask me out. "Did she really? God, I'm so sorry that she bothered you. She was probably just messing with me. Nicole tends to do that often and--" I rambled

Lance chuckled, causing me to stop my meander and preventing from embarrassing myself any further. "It's alright, Elle. I wanted to ask you out on a date anyway, if that's okay with you. Nicole just pushed me to do it even more," he shakily uttered, scratching the back of his neck. 

My nerves boiled at a low temperature, and all of the anxiety that I once felt disintegrated. However, before I could assuredly respond with the anticipated Yes, an arm wrapped around my waist, making me jump. It was Devon. "Elle, babe, let me bring you to class now," he stated, burning a hole through Lance with his eyes.

Lance recoiled away in fear, feeling threatened by Devon's presence. He stared at me as if saying, "Why didn't you tell me you already have a boyfriend?" Before I could plead him not to leave, he turned around and left, veering into the corner.

Immediately, I faced Devon, smacking his shoulder. "What was that for? Why would you do that?" I yelled. As if dealing with Ethan wasn't enough, why was Devon bothering me as well? Didn't he have his own girl to interfere with, to meddle in her private affairs?

"Sorry, Elle. I just don't like seeing other guys hassle you like that, ya know?" Devon smirked.

"Hassel? Do you think Lance was hassling me? He was asking me on a date, which I was about to accept! And then you came along, attaching yourself to me, making Lance think that you are my boyfriend. If anything, you were the one hassling me," I barked. "You are just like your brother," I remarked, beginning to make my way into the girls' locker room to get changed for gym class.

For a second I thought that he was finally going to leave me alone, but then Devon's footsteps lightly pattered after me. "You're comparing me to my brother?" Devon questioned once he caught up with my pace. "Oh please, Elle. At least give me some more credit. I'm nothing like Ethan's insensitive, manipulative mind."

I slowed the tempo of my stride, interesting myself in what Devon had to say about Ethan. "Why would you say that Ethan is insensitive and manipulative? At least he wouldn't pretend to be my boyfriend just to get what he wants." Actually--come to think of it--he did tell Mr. Harold that we were dating so that he could get off the hook...

Devon snickered, "Elle, Ethan is my brother; I know him inside and out. You know the real reason why Ethan is really talking to you, don't you? It's a silly game to him. He does not give a care in the world about your feelings and how this affects you. All that matters to him is the popularity. I hate to break it to ya, but Ethan's just using you."

I agreed with Devon that Ethan was most likely taking advantage of me, but it is not like I did not already know that; I knew it from the start. Anyway, who was Devon to be talking? Was he not a part of these finesse games as well? Did he not also partake in the exploiting along with Ethan? But Devon was right about one thing; he was not at all like his brother.