Chapter Three// Romeo & Juliet

~Elle Summerall~

The purring of his white Corvette's engine was barely audible over the thoughts that roared inside of my mind. Ethan had some nerve to come so close to me, whispering words that I refused to hear so close to my ear. The feeling of his hot breath tugging at the skin of my ear was still burning. Served him right get water splashed over his head. He was too much of a hot head anyway.

        Besides that, the car ride was unusually quiet. I assumed that Ethan would use this time to sweet talk me or something along the lines of that, but he maintained his eyes on the road as both hands clutched the wheel. It was not awkward; we just both used this resourceful time to think. I was contemplating about what I had gotten myself into. Only heaven knows what Ethan could have possibly been pondering about.

        He drove into the driveway of a cozy-looking two story home that I least expected. All my life, I imagined Ethan and his brother to live in some sort of prodigious mansion with an immense gate that required a secret code. Unlikely, they lived in a normal house with a normal driveway and a normal front door. For just a moment, Ethan actually seemed ordinary.

        "This is your house?" I wondered, raising an eyebrow to express my confusion.

         "Yeah. Didn't expect it, huh?" It was like he could read my mind. I better watch what I think. Not even my mind is safe from him. "I know it'snot much, but it's my home," Ethan stated, admiring the house as if it were the first time he had laid eyes upon it. After locking his Corvette, Ethan led me inside through the front door.

        I was welcomed by the smell of freshly baked cookies. Immediately to the right was the threshold of the kitchen, and I realized the source of the lovely aroma. With oven mitts covering her hands and a cheesy Kiss the Cook apron wrapped around her waist, a beautiful young lady, who appeared to be in her early thirties, was pulling a tray of cookies out of the oven. Her lengthy and curly brown hair was tied in a neat ponytail. The attention grabber, however, were her glassy green eyes, resembling an older female version of Ethan.

        After resting the tray of cookies on the table, her eyes directed themselves to me. "Hi Ethan, honey. Who is your friend?" she asked in a soft, sweet tone, smiling. Behind her grinning mask, I knew what she was thinking. Another poor, innocent girl my son brought home. Please forgive my son.

        To make up for my unspoken words in Mr. Harold's office, I greeted Ethan's mother instead of allowing Ethan to present myself. "Good afternoon, Mrs. Suave. I'm Elle Quintal," I introduced, returning her grin. "Those cookies you made smell delicious! You must be a wonderful baker," I praised.

        Mrs. Suave seemed to be taken a back. I bet none of Ethan's previous girls were ever this gentle and kind towards his mother. They were all most likely straight down to the point with Ethan. "Thank you, darling! You can call me Susie and help yourself if you would like," Susie offered, as she removed her oven mitts and flattened out her apron.

"Thanks, Mom, but I have to tutor Elle. There's no time for snacks, so we're going to go upstairs now," Ethan rushed, tugging at my arm as if his only mission was to get away from his mother. I wish he hadn't, though. More time with his mother meant less time with him.

        Before leaving the kitchen, I gave Susie one last gleam that said, "Sorry that I have to go. Your son is very demanding." Ethan dragged me upstairs hurriedly. When we entered the first room to the left, he shut the door. I pulled my arm away from his grip. "Your mother is so much nicer than you," I snorted, rubbing the area that Ethan held.

        "I don't care," he replied with sass in his tone. I could have annoyed him even more, but something else caught my attention. It was only then that I noticed the territory I had entered. Ethan's bedroom.