Chapter Seven//Heartbreaker & Sweetheart

Ethan Suave

Elle and I sat on her cushioned living room couch with books and papers sloppily laid out in front of us on the coffee table. "Okay, just one more verbal question," I promised. "No cheating, okay?" She nodded obediently, and I skimmed through the packet in my hand in search of a final question. "Ah, here we go. What is Juliet's comparison about Romeo and the heavens?"

She sat still for a moment, inspecting the ceiling as if the words were engraved on it. "When he shall die," Elle paused, "take him and cut him out in little stars, and he will make the face of heaven so fine that all the world will be in love with night and pay no worship to the garish sun." When she concluded, Elle scrutinized my expression, waiting for my approval.

Nodding, I stroked my chin like I had a well-grown beard from Duck Dynasty. "Not too shabby," I judged, tossing the packet on the table. "When is your test on Romeo and Juliet?"

"In two days," she replied, leaning back on the couch. "I don't want to talk about it, though. I've had enough of these two love birds."

"Oh come on. Romeo and Juliet is a classic," I argued, crossing my legs on the couch. "I mean, just think about it: Two star crossed-lovers whose parents are enemies, and it just so happens that--of all people--the love of their life is their only enemy. Even though they acknowledge that they have no chances of a future together, the two struggle to make ends meet."

Elle mimicked my position, staring at me as if I had four eyes. "Can I ask you something?" Without my justification, she continued. "Why are you like that? Why do you prance around school and mess with girls' hearts, and then come over here and suddenly use your brilliant brain? Is this another plastic side of you just to get me to like you?"

In my plan, I was using this side of me to woe her, but it was far from plastic. If anything, it was the real me, the side that only my family knew about. I reflected upon it and decided that since Elle snooped around my room and found my sketch book and novels, why not use it to my advantage?

"I don't know," I honesty replied. Why do I really do this? Why do I intervene with girls' innocence? Trust me, it is something that I had even questioned myself, and at times I came up with the most ridiculous answers. But, in all reality, I did it all because of Gina. I was angry with myself knowing that I did or said something to upset her. I was the cause of our ruined relationship.

"My turn to ask you a question," I redirected. "Why were you so unwilling to let me talk to you before?"

"First off, I am still unwilling to talk to you or even be in the same room with you, but I am obligated to since Mrs. Fletcher agreed that you would tutor me, and I can not afford a failing grade," Elle snapped "Second, I know what you are up to, and so does the entire school; it is no secret. I guess I was just--I'm afraid," she confessed, tilting her head down.

At that point, I had no clue what to do. I always knew how to soothe girls in circumstances like that, but Elle made me unusually unstable. Suck it up, Ethan. You sound like a sissy. Gingerly, I brought her chin up with my hand and leveled her eyes with mine. That was my cue to kiss Elle and put an end to the bet. However, the situation became awkward too quickly, so I let go and cleared my throat. Come on, Ethan. What are you so timid about? "Why...why are you afraid of me?"

"The question is: Why would I not be afraid of you? Ethan, knowing that you want to swipe my v card alarms me," Elle revealed, putting air quotes around swipe my v card. "Don't get me wrong. I am fascinated with the idea of love itself, but I do not want to hurt like how my mom did when my dad abandoned us. That is what my phobia centers around."